Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Years
in the US it changed things:
-just today on the AM news they were quoting government sources "an un confirmed rumor that terrorist were planning to blow up bridges or tunnels along the east coast. citizens should be on the watch." i am sorry i need more details to assume is not the same line of behavior of "government by fear".

-i would like to reduce funding for the new government entities like Home Land Security. i view this a possible play to keep or increase their impression of net worth.

-even after 10 years lots of people here (especially those >40years old) still expect terror lurking every where. like terrorists are going to blow up the local mall. their level of fear is proportional to their low level of education and or social experience.

having lived through the russian cold war period where likely the threat was instigated by glossy paint on rusted communist military hardware. America seems to need a common threat to keep its society straight and narrow.

dfiant Wrote:it changed the way we behave, the way we see things

Would you mind expanding on that?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Would you mind expanding on that?

Not really

dfiant Wrote:Incredible that next Sunday 10 years have past since the world as we know it changed.

Do you remember where you were and how has it changed you?
I was at home eating breakfast/getting ready for work...my dad came in (he'd went somewhere that morning) and said there's been a major terrorist attack in New York. Went over & turned the TV on, I watched for a short time but had to get going.

At work there was this small old black&white TV that had been sitting around for who knows how long, I took it off the shelf & fired it up....it ran for the rest of the day (and was turned on for the next couple days too).

dfiant Wrote:Not really

So I'm wrong but you won't explain why. Not much of a discussion.
Fred

If you say so.

Look Fred, this wasn't a thread started to debate semantics, this was a thread I started to remember the tragic event and the lives lost in terrible circumstances...we SHOULD remember...TOGETHER...this is not a thread to start a debate and argue mindless semantics.

I'm going to respond to both of the things brought up here. First, I was in the Field, my Company was in a Tactical Pause at Lewis Lake at Ft Lewis, we heard about it on the radio. Second, as far as if it changed the world or not, I don't know. I know it changed the US forever. I know it changed air travel forever. I know my friend Linda, who is from Austrailia, was in the US at the time she had been visiting US friends, and she was in Washington DC, and had been getting ready to go on a tour of the Pentagon, the plane that hit the Pentagon went over her head, I know it changed her.
Richard

dfiant Wrote:If you say so.

Look Fred, this wasn't a thread started to debate semantics, this was a thread I started to remember the tragic event and the lives lost in terrible circumstances...we SHOULD remember...TOGETHER...this is not a thread to start a debate and argue mindless semantics.

More people died on Americas in that year roads than in that event. My point is that we are doing exactly what the terrorists want us to do by valuing the deaths of certain people we don't know over other people we don't know.
Fred

I had just woken up and had turned on the morning news shortly after the first plane hit.

My first though was, "Oh no, not again!" because I remember the first time it happened when I was younger.

I had called upstairs to my parents to come downstairs (still living at home at the time) and watched in disbelief as the second plane hit just as my parents came downstairs.

I knew then that something was up.

``If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate,'' said Sandy Dahl, the wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason Dahl.