Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1000 years of annoying the french
ardus Wrote:I can't hate on the French too much, they did after all help us throw off the yoke of our imperial oppressors. Since then though...... can't think of much they've done that I really particularly liked.

They tried to recruit American citizens as Privateers during their revolution, not cool.
Couldn't repel German invasion during two worlds wars.
Most of the French people I've met kind of have a snobby attitude, also not cool.

Good wine though.

Richard

Not only couldnt repel german invasion but then turn around and blame us for everything (like when we destroyed a french fleet of ships.. well they were going to hand it to the germans)

Btw, this is tounge in cheek, i dont hate on the french. Only in jest. WWII was 70 years ago.

Anyone seen ekwarpf recently. :p

Lets not forget AFTER the war, the USA LOANED the French money to help rebuild and get back to "normal" life.

They have NEVER repaid this loan!!!

Sometime during the past 4 Presidents, this loan was "forgiven" by the US government.
And STILL (from what I hear), the French despise and spit on Americans.

I could'nt care LESS about somebody who gets a loan they NEVER intend to pay back, then SPITS in your face! I have NO urge to EVER see France, except to maybe drop a shit bomb over the Eiffel Tower.

We once had a visit from a couple of veeps from the HQ in San Diego, and I got the job of taking them to the Paris and Munich offices. Ze Chermans were OK, but Paris was definately not.

We took a cab from the airport with a mad Vietnamese driver, and you know what the traffic is like there, and then we hit the big roundabout that goes round the Arc de Triomphe (that's surrender in French) and the guy hits the accelerator and we're going at about 60 mph and avoided multiple accidents by millimeters and the yanks were shitting themselves, but we got out the other side OK.

What finished them off was the old style French toilet, basically a hole in the floor and no seat, you just had to squat over it and do what nature insisted upon, despite the stench. That was the coupe de grace: they never returned, which was a good outcome actually.Evilgrin1

Yes mister tinks and we paid of our WWII debts to you in 2006, with a note of thanks! Why the frenchys get special treatment! :

ardus Wrote:I can't hate on the French too much, they did after all help us throw off the yoke of our imperial oppressors. Since then though...... can't think of much they've done that I really particularly liked.

They tried to recruit American citizens as Privateers during their revolution, not cool.
Couldn't repel German invasion during two worlds wars.
Most of the French people I've met kind of have a snobby attitude, also not cool.

Good wine though.

Richard

They've produced some of the finest art, literature, cinema and music in the world. Also, the French didn't fail to repel the German invasion in WW1, they bore the brunt of the fighting in that war for the allies (apart from Russia which suffered heavy casualties due to incompetent leadership) where the US contribution was minimal and inconsequential for the most part. France was the decisive ally power in WW1.

Ok orphanpip, this threads called anoying the french, but thanks for your contibution.

It was Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, a French physician, who introduced the concept of an execution machine to France in October 1789. A German Engineer and Harpsichord maker by the name of Tobias Schmidt, constructed the prototype which was designed by Laquiante, an officer of the Strasbourg criminal court.

Before the Guillotine, similar devices existed including the Halifax Gibbit and the Scottish Maiden. Both were more likely to crush the neck than sever the head - an official standing by with a sharp knife as was the practice wit beheadings by Axe - just in case!

Someone mentioned eating Humble Pie.

In the 14th century, the numbles (or noumbles, nomblys, noubles) was the name given to the heart, liver, entrails etc. of animals, especially of deer - what we now call offal or lights. By the 15th century this had migrated to umbles, although the words co-existed for some time. There are many references to both words in Old English and Middle English texts from 1330 onward. Umbles were used as an ingredient in pies, although the first record of 'umble pie' in print is as late as the 17th century. Samuel Pepys makes many references to such pies in his diary; for example, on 5th July 1662:

"I having some venison given me a day or two ago, and so I had a shoulder roasted, another baked, and the umbles baked in a pie, and all very well done."

and on 8th July 1663:

"Mrs Turner came in and did bring us an Umble-pie hot out of her oven, extraordinarily good."

About 40 minutes away from where I live by Train lies the Lancashire town of Wigan whose inhabitants are referred to as "Pie Eaters". The name dates from the 1926 General Strike when Wigan miners were starved back to work before their counterparts in surrounding towns and were forced to metaphorically eat "humble pie".

Nose-pick

http://www.francoamericandream.com/11-fr...n-america/

Imposters!

Richard

Thanks, i knew both words could be used - humble or umble - but i didnt know why! I actually almost said "umble" in the post you speak of but i thought nobody would "get it"

Yeah ok, french invention, ok if you say so :-P

ardus Wrote:Nose-pick

http://http://www.francoamericandream.co...n-america/

Imposters!

Richard

Nothings happening ?