Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13.82 Billion Years Old
just remember gravity doesn't pull us to the earth but pushes us to the earth, Therory of Relativity, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

zeon Wrote:what i have wondered is if we got a space ship to the edge of the universe what would happen when we hit the edge do we then just fall into nothing????

I have a cousin who I got to talking to once about this stuff.
His theory is that we are nothing more than a dust particle in a shoebox poked full of holes, in some giant universe we cannot comprehend.

zeon Wrote:what i have wondered is if we got a space ship to the edge of the universe what would happen when we hit the edge do we then just fall into nothing????

Just about every model suggests the universe has no approachable edge.
Like walking around the planet; it essentially repeats.
For what it's worth, space geometry is weird...(four dimensional weird.)

The older models did actually have edges, but would require faster than light travel to reach them.

Genersis Wrote:Just about every model suggests the universe has no approachable edge.
Like walking around the planet; it essentially repeats.
For what it's worth, space geometry is weird...(four dimensional weird.)

The older models did actually have edges, but would require faster than light travel to reach them.

I don't know. I saw some videos of physicist Lawrence Krauss discussing the shape of the universe and he said most physicists think the universe is probably flat-ish. Like, if you were to measure a giant triangle on Earth you would notice the angles don't add to 180degrees, it seems that way when we measure space. Dunno.

Chase Wrote:I don't know. I saw some videos of physicist Lawrence Krauss discussing the shape of the universe and he said most physicists think the universe is probably flat-ish. Like, if you were to measure a giant triangle on Earth you would notice the angles don't add to 180degrees, it seems that way when we measure space. Dunno.

See, this is where things get weird.

The best models at the moment suggest a flat universe...that is in the shape of a 3-torus.(Four dimensional)
I'm not sure how this works, but then I'm not an astrophysicist.

There is this wicked cute guy in my class who is going to transfer next year to study astrophysics, maybe I'll ask him Smile

Oh, I meant I think they do add up to 180degrees, I'm not sure.

I think when you hit the edge of the universe, you break through the barrier and into a different universe. I have no basis on this idea, I just think it'd be cool. Then you could think of the Universe as just a really really really big room or container, and there are other containers surrounding it.

Genersis Wrote:Umm, yes, they can measure it.

By calculating the expansion of the universe.
Sure. there are variables of which we are getting more and more accurate data for, reducing the margin of error.

It is a fact as much as gravity existing is.

You cannot possibly measure something you have never seen confined.
Nor can you measure something that you arent sure has an end.

They can hypothesize all they want, but until they have actually found the exact, physical ends of the universe, they cannot measure anything.

Sure they can try to measure what goes on inside OUR galaxy, but not in the entire universe....there are no definitions to go by. They would have to know the EXACT expanse of the universe to be able to measure it, along with the shape, size, and all objects inside it......whether its a neverending rotation of the same bodies, or an expanding system of those same bodies. They can guess all they want, but thats all it is.

Actually thats all that science is.....a best guess.

They dont know whats out there, regardless of what they think they are looking at through telescopes.....they have no physical proof of any of it. Its all guesswork. And you cant measure a guess.