Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19 foods that aren't foods
These are just some of the things that are fobbed off as "foods". Don't stop at the end of the article, scroll down and continue. There's an interesting article about Quorn.

http://www.eatclean.com/products/fake-food
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Strip the article of sarcasm and it is not nearly as much fun. A lot of the stuff is not quite as off the wall as the writer would like you to believe. Not that I care for Cool Whip, mind you.
I bid NO Trump!

My general shopping rule: If it comes out of a bottle, box, can, wrapper or any other type of container it is't something I want to eat. Exceptions include packaged lettuces, packaged meats, a carton of (real) eggs. In these instances I look for "organic," "hormone free," and "free range," on the package (not that I necessarily trust that they're telling me the truth, understand). Otherwise, I buy organic vegetables, some fruit (very little, mostly apples, occasionally berries), almond milk, rice, and some greek yogurt. That's about it.

BTW, I've been meaning to start a thread on cooking. I do NOT like to cook. Sad Usually I cook up a whole bunch of (barely cooked) vegetables and steam/roast several skinless/boneless chicken breasts and maybe make a bunch of rice (or sweet potatoes). From that, I just grab stuff and throw it together and warm it up in a pan, adding some spices to season it a bit. It is BORING but it is quick and easy and feeds me for several days.

i don't eat any of those things. and the mashed potatoes in a box -- it's pretty easy to tell they're not real mashed potatoes. i tried them once and they're tasteless and bland. that ice cream, i think i tried that once as well, and the same applies -- bland and tasteless. if people eat that crap it's their own fault. why anyone would is beyond me.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Setting aside that you do not like to cook, Mike, what do you like to eat? I often fantasize about what I would eat if I did not take the roomie's taste into account. Can certainly tell you that I would NEVER have another pepperoni pizza or Five Guys burger.

Do you like fish?

I could probably go nuts on a cooking thread.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Can certainly tell you that I would NEVER have another pepperoni pizza or Five Guys burger.

tried them once, was not impressed.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

MikeW Wrote:BTW, I've been meaning to start a thread on cooking. I do NOT like to cook. Sad

i don't particularly enjoy it either. but i have to do it in order to get my food the way i like it. there's a certain way i like my pasta, a certain way i like salads, meat has to be cooked just right, etc. i can't just eat any kind of pasta, for example. very few people know how to cook my food besides me. so if i want to eat good i usually gotta do it myself. i'm used to it by now.

there is one occasion i enjoy cooking -- when i'm making something special for a guy i like. but then it's usually a two-man process anyway, so there's plenty of man-to-man contact and interaction there to make the thing enjoyable.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I don't care. I like my frozen dairy desert that comes out in a cool swirl from a nozzle when you pull up a lever and I'm going to eat it, damn it!

LJay Wrote:Setting aside that you do not like to cook, Mike, what do you like to eat?
I'm a sweet/starch addict. So… I *like* to eat cookies, cakes, pies, that sort of thing. I'm *especially* fond of a good New York cheese cake. Quite seriously, I've been known to eat an entire cheesecake in one sitting -- with a glass or two of milk. IOW, I can binge on stuff like that especially when I'm stressed out in some way.

Otherwise, meh… There are foods I like -- a good Thai or Indian curry for example -- or a vindaloo or gumbo, something complex and spicy. But I'm way too lazy to make myself such things. I'm not particularly fond of fish -- I don't like the smell of it cooking for one thing. I *do* eat it but usually only when I eat out. Occasionally I'll get myself a salmon stake and broil it with lemon and butter. But mostly it is chicken, vegetables, perhaps a simple salad. On my workout days I eat beef. I do love a good steak.

Back in the days when I *did* eat anything I wanted, it was largely pastas and sauces… something relatively quick and easy.