Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 the movie or the truth?
[COLOR="Purple"]Many great points everyone.

Many say that 2012 is the beginning of the Age of Aquarius.
So.... I say, BRING ON MY AGE![/COLOR]

The calendar in question is a gigantic stone wheel the ending was to my understanding selected quite arbitrarily and it could have just as easily been 2013 or 2050. It just gets a little cumbersome after a while being a gigantic stone wheel and all. All the end of the calendar predicts is that the calendar has ended. If anything they would have just thrown a party and restarted the calendar. The thing is the whole 2012 mania is not really due to any coherent logical data and based on what I've seen and the adherents just refurbish old wacky conspiracy theories and marry them to 2012 even if there wasn't a connexion to begin with. It's just the end of the world theory du jour.

That being said, I still plan to see the movie. Roland Emmerich himself doesnt believe in the theory he just wanted to do what he does best: destroy everything. I mean it will probably have a really clichéd plot and characters and such but that's not what I'll be watching the movie for anyway so its fine.

libertylove4 Wrote:...she could end up president in 2012 ...
Surely not ... surely? :eek:

If the world is going to end in 2012 are we in time to save people's houses in London and the money we were going to spend on the Olympics? The banks are bound to need a bit of pocket money before then and we'll need a bit if we're going to renationalise the railways.

Also people have been predicting the end of the world due to variable factors for a long time and they have to date all been wrong. From Christ's anticipated return in 1,000 AD to Y2K this is just another link in a chain of doomsaying.

The real end of the world will probably and unfortunately lack glamour. Not with a bang but a whimper and all that jazz. But explosions are still pretty cool so I dont know.

Mr.Dude Wrote:... explosions are still pretty cool ...
... unless you're in one!

I don't know even then if I had to go out that would at least be one of the cooler methods.

EDIT: Oh and yes its difficult for me to stop talking this is a critical flaw of mine but I wish also to point out that one of the central catalysts that is often mentioned in such conspiracy theories for the end of the world is some type of galactic alignment. A lining up of galactic centres, planets, and other such celestial objects. This is pretty much an event that is devoid if all meaning of not completely made up.

libertylove4 Wrote:I actually wouldn't mind the world ending in 2012...according to news outlets here in the US, Sarah Palin (One time Governor of Alaska, former mayor of Alaska's crystal meth capital, virulent homophobe, and Sen. John McCain's batshit insane running mate in 2008) is plotting a run for President in 2012, and given the Republican Party's gradual shift to the right and the overall absurdity of the average American voter, it could be a possibility that she could end up president in 2012, which may be the end of modern civilization predicted by the Mayans.

I wouldn't be too worried about Palin, the Republican base may love her but I haven't seen much evidence of her appeal to swing voters. Having said that I don't doubt that she is considering the possibility of running for the nomination for 2012, I think the party will despite its love of her would choose someone with wider appeal. It chose McCain last time for his wider appeal, despite his difficult relationship with the Christian Right, he then had to choose Palin as his running mate to shore-up his support within his own party, despite the evidence lack of policy or philosophical agreement between the two.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Film 2012.

Another hollywood disaster movie, many bucks made again.

How many times have people predicted the world' end so far?

The world will end either by a big piece of rock hitting earth or some religious group with a nuke.

Personally I think this could happen, appart from the characters surviving through volcanos, earth shattering and floods.

Politicitians etc, must have some kinda backup incase something like this did happen, maybe not this. Something such as a World War.

But just like in Torchwood, the "power elite" are to bothered sticking up for theirselves and their children to think about the public.

If anything majorly damaging did happen, I honestly think that would be the true work of events.