Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 - the year everything breaks?
Last night driving home my truck decided to throw a rod through the oil pan. Rolleyes

This is the second engine in the beast. The first one also threw a rod through its oil pan in 2003. $1700.00 and a few weeks later I had a 1985 engine installed which has lead to constant yearly battles with California over Smog laws that insist on a 1977 carburetor since the truck is a 1977 model. This meant an additional $500 to get a new (1977) mounting plate installed and having the mechanic curse me as he struggled to fit a 1977 carburetor to a 1985 engine.

The kitchen faucet also decided to spring a leak last night as my partner was doing dishes. :frown: Opening that up to replace a washer I note that there is massive mineral deposit build up and lots of corrosion. Joys of living on a well.

There are a few other things that have managed to give up the ghost this past two weeks - this on top of my computer processor issue.

So today I have my truck in the driveway, it still bleeding oil. Drip, drip drip...

This morning I was under it assessing the damage, contemplating what I can and cannot sell out of this engine (part it out) when the nose piece of my glasses decides to pop off.

Unfortunately I'm at the point that if a trip around the world cost ten cents I couldn't get out the front door.

What really sucks is I just managed to get a string of fairly nice jobs lined up. I had hoped to get a few things done with that money... Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get material to the job sites and my tools and still get my partner to and from his job at Target which is 4 hours a day, never the same four hours a 'shifting' shift.

I have decided that 2012 is the year everything will break... :biggrin:

you added a smiley at the end mate so at least your taking all on the chin, why is its things like this all seem to happen all at once too - as the saying goes here in uk anyway (bad things come in 3's) - i know very little about engines but the parts should at least be worth something to put a dent in the bill for another engine - good look n hope u get a good price for the parts at least mate

If you dont laugh at life it will only bring ya down i recommend doing giggles for shits

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:truck decided to throw a rod
find a 1977 truck with a functional engine that got rear ended and totaled.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:the nose piece of my glasses decides to pop off.
look through that pile of dead sun glasses you have lying around for a fastener.

with older cars you can always count on them breaking down. one year my transmission went out on my favorite car so far, a 97 chrysler sebring, so then I went out and got a 97 bimmer only to have that break down to, but I found a good repair manually and a mechanic I can trust to keep it running smooth. my dad always tells me to set aside at least $500 every year for repairs :frown:
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Well I keep smiling.

I do not wear sunglasses - I was never fashionable. I do have older pair of glasses. I'm just sort of "amused" that so much is deciding to break.

Looking at our options I think getting a 'new' truck is the only way to go. I saw a 1955 Ford truck for sale... However it needs a lot of body work and I'm thinking that such a classic would not make for a good work truck.

see if you can find as front clip of a pickup truck (ie: it has been rear ended). Locally i shop at places like klode.com, an insurance auto salvage site open to the public. I usally bid on line

Sorry to hear that, Bowyn... to add to your woes I ripped two pairs of pants (trousers) in the seat this week alone... and managed to wear a pullover to work that had 11 moth holes in it that I didn't see despite inspecting said pullover before going out... IT's been my week of dangerous dressing. :biggrin:

Bighug

That is so dreadful Bowyn ,
I hate when the dreaded 3 fairy shows up.

Glad to see you smiling.

In a state as large and wonderful as California, there must be many automotive exorcists. Hire some exorcist even if he does not make your car better, you will make his income a bit richer.

Time goes back and forth, not linear as people believe. Ask God to lean a week forward, get the winning lottery numbers, lean back and write them on your kitchen table, then buy a new car a week from now. You will grin and set your crappy car on fire and be polite to your undeserving neighbors. Every body wins.