Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
23 years old
Should I save up for 1.5 years at a sucky job that pays well and I'm not passionate about or shall I sell my 2015 Mazda 6 and move to NY with little to no monies and really explore life. This can all wait for a year; but, like what if I die or something. At work I had a thought, I hate work. But we all hate work. What should I do.

If you're talking about the city, it is not a forgiving place for people with no money and no job. You at least better have a couple months rent saved up, or try to secure a job first. Check out craigslist.

The amount of fun you can have in a major city is directly related to how much money you have in your pocket. (Unless you really, really love free museums.)

That goes double for new York. I hear it's even more price-gouging than London which frankly I find hard to imagine, London will empty your wallet faster than a gold-digger boyfriend.

So yeah save up for a while, 24 is still very young.

TigerLover Wrote:The amount of fun you can have in a major city is directly related to how much money you have in your pocket. (Unless you really, really love free museums.)

That goes double for new York. I hear it's even more price-gouging than London which frankly I find hard to imagine, London will empty your wallet faster than a gold-digger boyfriend.

So yeah save up for a while, 24 is still very young.

London is insane how much things cost. I only go to the galleries though which are free and I know where some normally priced pubs are.

oreosplz93 Wrote:Should I save up for 1.5 years at a sucky job that pays well and I'm not passionate about or shall I sell my 2015 Mazda 6 and move to NY with little to no monies and really explore life. This can all wait for a year; but, like what if I die or something. At work I had a thought, I hate work. But we all hate work. What should I do.

We don't ALL hate work. I love my job. Maybe you should give some thought to a job that you'd like better.

As for living in NYC, be sure you have a realistic idea of what it would cost to live there. Go to a site like Zillow.com ans search apts. for rent in NYC. They give you descriptions and pictures,, so you'll get a good idea what's out there.

Google things like restaurants, grocery markets, public transportation etc. to get a better idea of living expenses. Check out available jobs and wage levels.

Exploring life in a big city can be pretty damned expensive. I live in a very expensive big city, and I have to budget very, very carefully.

I'm not saying not to do it. Just make sure that you're being realistic, that you're well-informed ahead of time and that you have a healthy emergency fund to back you up.

oreosplz93 Wrote:Should I save up for 1.5 years at a sucky job that pays well and I'm not passionate about or shall I sell my 2015 Mazda 6 and move to NY with little to no monies and really explore life. This can all wait for a year; but, like what if I die or something. At work I had a thought, I hate work. But we all hate work. What should I do.

Hell between yesterday and today 3 months took place.

That is the perception of a 50 year old who looks at 18 months as a tiny period of time that will pass like magic in a single week of sleep or something.

Knowing what I know now there is much I would have done differently with my life, such as I would have stuck it out at a job for a year or two to rack in some money, open up a savings account, bought stock in that silly company called Yahoo, bought stock in that sillier sounding company by the name of Google (ever hear of it) and sold all my stock in Ma Bell, White Star Lines and other epic failures.

But I didn't know, and I sure as shit didn't listen to the old guys telling me what I should do because they wished they were back in their twenties and would have done different knowing what they then knew...

So the choice is yours, ultimately. But I would stick with the job.

Your irresponsible impatience irritates me.

I'm impatient about many things, mind you, but money you just don't play with.

Be smart, save enough money for your goals and then go for them.

1,5 years is hardly a long time.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:Your irresponsible impatience irritates me.

I'm impatient about many things, mind you, but money you just don't play with.

Be smart, save enough money for your goals and then go for them.

1,5 years is hardly a long time.

thank you for the tough love. I'm gonna suck it up.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hell between yesterday and today 3 months took place.

That is the perception of a 50 year old who looks at 18 months as a tiny period of time that will pass like magic in a single week of sleep or something.

Knowing what I know now there is much I would have done differently with my life, such as I would have stuck it out at a job for a year or two to rack in some money, open up a savings account, bought stock in that silly company called Yahoo, bought stock in that sillier sounding company by the name of Google (ever hear of it) and sold all my stock in Ma Bell, White Star Lines and other epic failures.

But I didn't know, and I sure as shit didn't listen to the old guys telling me what I should do because they wished they were back in their twenties and would have done different knowing what they then knew...

So the choice is yours, ultimately. But I would stick with the job.

I'll definitely just save up and quit being a cry baby. Thanks!

oreosplz93 Wrote:thank you for the tough love. I'm gonna suck it up.

Only meant to put some perspective Smile

You can reach your goals if you are smart about it. You CAN do it.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]