Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25 Medical myths that just won't go away
Some beliefs last and last and last, despite a lack of evidence.

http://www.livescience.com/36100-10-medi...tification
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Huh! I would've never known! I believed more than half of these o.o

The one about 8 glasses of water a day.. I believed that one whole-heartedly, even if I didn't fulfill it daily haha

DannyDesu Wrote:Huh! I would've never known! I believed more than half of these o.o

The one about 8 glasses of water a day.. I believed that one whole-heartedly, even if I didn't fulfill it daily haha

If you drank eight glasses of water a day in addition to the liquid intake that you get from your food, you're kidneys would work overtime.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

enjoyed reading that list - I did actually believe that eating late could make you fat just because you are not burning those calories by doing anything while sleeping so I thought it would get stored as fat reserves - guess im not too old too learn new things after all Smile

Well to start with websites which abound with adverts want to attract visitors as more hits equals more money. What better way of attracting visitors than to say that everything they believe in is wrong.
All of these "studies" that they mention have links to their own webpages, not to any independent trustworthy website.
I'm not saying that everything they say is untrue (I don't now) but I certainly wouldn't believe it all blindly either.

Of course chicken soup does not "cure" a cold but it shuts up my roomie while he suffers from one and THAT is a godsend. I keep Campbell's chicken noodle soup and soda crackers as a defense against his whining. For myself, taking a hint from the avgolemono of the Greeks, I find that heating up a can of the stuff in a big mug and adding the juice of a lemon is great stuff. The extra vitamin C does not hurt.

My doctors do prescribe two supplements for my particular situation but have never recommended an overall supplement. As a matter of fact, while I was doing chemo for lymphoma they said it was unnecessary.
I bid NO Trump!

They missed the old wives tale 'You can't drink alcohol when you are on anti-biotics because alcohol can cancel the effects of the antibiotics'

And speaking of the chicken soup myth once again, they missed trying to debunk my grandmother's concoction of bourbon, lemon, hot water sugar and ginger that put a weary soul to rest. I think she may have even given a couple of those to the doctor!
I bid NO Trump!