Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Degree Burns from Sunburn, Pain Management, Scars Afterward, etc.
Hey guys,

Long story short, I was out in the water this past weekend and ended up getting sunburnt even though I put sunscreen on. I didn't think much of it because it looked just like a regular sunburn and didn't really hurt much... then, a few hours later, in the hotel room I was staying in, it got bad... REALLY fucking bad.

Sunday blisters appeared.

Now I'm in severe pain.

I've been managing the pain with aloe vera and pain medication, been to the doctor to make sure it wasn't severe enough for hospitalization, etc. I started cold comrpesses tonight and that took the redness down... for an hour, now it's come back.

I know I basically have to tough this out as the blisters pop, drain, etc., then as the skin heals, but is there anything else I can do other than drink water/use aloe vera/take medication to help with the pain? I can't shower because my shower doesn't really have a cool setting and its bursts are too strong, and I literally have no money right now due to varying things. That's my main question.

Second -- what about afterward, if I develop scars? I'm not overly vain, but I have blisters all over and I'm extremely paranoid that I'll develop horrible scars. I've heard of Vitamin E, Manuka Honey, that sort of thing to treat scars, but will that help with burn scars, or will I have to have laser or other surgery to correct that?

Let me know if you all have had any experience with this.

- Blue

Manuka honey, I've heard helps to prevent infection (but of course not the one for eating ;P) propolis is also an antiseptic.

If you do develop scars, once it's healed completely, try use bio-oil, it's really good, and it helped me get a long scar on my face off after a moderately bad mountain biking accident.

I'm not sure about the pain, probably just get really hydrated. try to distract yourself with activities! Hope you get better.

i have good answer for this - in florida on holiday my friend got severe sun stroke,,, we got the reception to call a doctor who said lay in a cool bath with White Vinager in,(othwise hospital would have been very expensive) - we mixed a quart bottle in and it made a huge difference - yes it smells at first but he stopped shaking and it eased the pain, here's a link i googles that shows a different way to apply, http://www.healthcareveda.com/post/Sunbu...tment.aspx .

maybe worth a try if your in a lot of pain !! as for scars, my friend was so bad a layer of skin literaly came off his back but luckily no long term scars, Always check out through google or some medical way any treatment your not sure of

You are doing as much as you can for your sunburn. Aussies are experts at this sort of thing, and I am afraid there are no miracle rememdies to take the pain away other than what you are already doing, the most important is rehydrate.

Sunburn doesn't normally leave scaring because it usually only involves one layer of skin and scarring is very rare. The worst of it usually lasts 24-48 hours.

Mattys vinegar idea sounds like a goer for the antiseptic properties.

Resist the temptation to 'pop' your blisters, this is what will cause scarring and can lead to infection.

use antibiotic ointment (ie, neosporin) after they pop, it'll help to heal the wounds without scars.

When I was a kid I would get sunburns - Being Scots/Irish I have no pigment.

My Grandmother would make ointments of Vitamin E oil, aloe and raw honey (not the pasteurized/cooked kind of honey)

The aloe she would strip off the skin and puree it in the blender (about half a blender full) then she would add 2-3 teaspoons of Vitamin E oil (from Vitamin E gel pills) and about a half cup of honey.

It was super sticky, yet cooling. She would slather it on my burns and I would sit there for about 20 minutes then go and take an oatmeal bath/soak.

Oatmeal was the rolled oats (regular, not flavored or instant) she would puree the dry oats until they were dust, then add to water to make a soup. She would add a couple of cups of pureed dried oatmeal to a cool tub of water.

I fear there isn't much one can do beyond that.

Even if you have sunscreen on, it doesn't last forever. Put it on as much as you can every hour or so. Make it really thorough. you can also wear a rashguard. I hate them, but I wear them because they're super effective. Lots of sunscreen!