Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40th Anniversary of the stonewall riots
It is the 40th Anniversary of the stonewall riots, (you know,,,, that's why pride kinda started)

Pride events across the country should really be giving at least a two minute silence for all the gays that fought for your equality and lost their lives doing so and is still happening today...

SO far I haven't seen anything.....

Does no one seem to care anymore or am I just being a little over reactive ??

Well I never knew this althou i certainly know what happened years ago.

Very interesting.

God Bless those who lost their lifes and those who are still fighting.

I think you are not over reacting.

Just shows really how somethings this country like to hide or keep quiet.

I care Smile

mr_21 Wrote:Well I never knew this althou i certainly know what happened years ago.

Very interesting.

God Bless those who lost their lifes and those who are still fighting.

I think you are not over reacting.

Just shows really how somethings this country like to hide or keep quiet.

I care Smile

I don't think it's being kept quiet, I just think Pride has lost it's way and no one really knows what "PRIDE" stands for any more :-0

Thank you for caring

xxxxxxxxx

That's true,

I was obviously not brought up in that generation and when i first heard about Gay Pride i first thought i was just an event for gay people.

That was until i checked Wiki and seen there was obviously more to it.

Then i felt i did not want to go, after checking and reading different things about the gay pride it does seem that it has lost it's way.

Which to me disrepects those who fighted for our rites, as they are abusing the truth of what gay pride is about by from what i here just seems to be now about getting drunk, some taking drugs, and people having sex.

Seems very bad, and althou i never been to one i don't think i would either as they have seem to abused it and i feel they have disprespected those who fighted for our rites.

For those who are unaware, the stonewall inn was a gay hangout, somewhere we could go and listen to the music and just kinda hangout together. It was located in new york city and the rebillion against the marauding nypd was the beginning of gays coming out and saying we have rights too. Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

i didn't know what the stonewall riots were either until just a few moments ago when i read some it's background. it seems to have started almost a decade before the whole Harvey Milk thing began too. i wish i could've learned about all of this stuff earlier, especially in my GSA club at school. maybe they did talk about it when i didn't have much opportunity to come in the past year, but i dont know. it's shame that we dont even learn about this stuff in school, but i guess it's not as important as other things >.>....
i do kind of wish that there more open announcements from local areas about stuff that gay organizations and whatnot are doing so i could be a part of that especially now with this whole gay marriage issue from state to state. obviously it's an issue that's being faced now or will soon be faced NOW in congress and nation-wide. i hope something happens so we can all make this work out for us and we can make the best of what could be a wonderful and bright historical event for us.

It is important that we remember the past so we can make sure we move forward to a fairer future.

This month's Attitude carries an interesting article including interviews with some who were there. The Stonewall Inn sounds like it was quite a dive at the time. Strange how it has become so emblematic. The whole protest could just as easily not have happened.

[COLOR="Purple"]It is usually the dives where the real fun/action takes place...

I am pretty sure I have been to the stonewall when I was running around the streets of NYC and didnt even realize where I was standing/dancing...

Guess it just was one too many broken heals on just one queen and all hell broke loose.

Pride means so many different things to so many different people... I really hope I am around when we dont need parades/prides.... when the young dont need to break a heal... or maybe when the cop will help glue back on that heal...

That reminds me of the best part of the parade in San Francisco... When the dozen police cars and many many many openly gay men and women officers march and then later the fire engines come by with those wonderful humans - I always burst into tears of joy over the pride we all share in one small part of the world on that one day.[/COLOR]

No one actually died in the Stonewall Inn police raid or in the three days of protest and violence that spilled out from that night. what stonewall did was highlight the repression and persecution of the gay comunity by the police and society in general. groups formed in the months following the riot like the GLF (Gay Liberation Front) who undertook a much more direct form of protest than the gay rights groups that were formed earlier in the mid 60's. The first gay marches through major cities in the states took place on the same day the following year.
Now that in the UK and most European GLBT peope have almost the same rights as straight people there is little to protest about so Prides and mardi Gras have become a way for GLBT people to show the communities that they live in that we are nothing to be afraid of and allow people who would not normally have any contact with GLBT people join in a day or two of celebration with us, breaking down barriers of predudice.

We still have a little way to go before we have equality, even in the UK.
For example if I have a civil union in the uk it would be recognised as a marriage in Spain but if I get married in Spain (which is a full and equal marriage to straight people in Spain) it is not recognised in the uk.

Perhapse we should remember Stonewall more but as no one died maybe 2 minites silence wouldn't be the way to do it. maybe fund raising on the day for people around the world that are still fighting the fight and need protection would be more apropriate.

[COLOR="Purple"]Just discovered photographs from the last nite of the riots. Not very dramatic but part of the history:

Images From the Stonewall Uprisings Final Night - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com[/COLOR]