Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Day In Hand campaign
Just found out about this campaign to make it more "normal" for same sex couples to hold hands in public. I know many will say we should be doing this anyway, but I know that sometimes it feels unsafe to do it. Personally I think this is a great and very simple campaign. It is due to start this year on IDAHO Day, May 17th.

A single day is just a stunt, which is useful for publicity. What we really need is a sustained campaign. Sometimes I hold my boyfriend's hand partly for 'political' reasons.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Its a start I guess.

I do alot of work for IDAHO every year, but it is all about where you feel safe holding your partners hand I geuss........ Like Marshy says

I like Freds idea

I am starting to get a little pissed at why people just can't get along

I am lucky where I live, I see gay couples holding hands all the time here but then I go to, say, the outskirts of Birmingham and I am terrified of walking the streets on my own in fear of someone judging me as a gay man before they even know me......

Like CS it's a start isn't it ??

[COLOR="Purple"]Yeah, how sad that there has to be a day set aside for this... sad.

Dont know if it started in San Francisco but a large group of gay couples would go into a "straight" environment (bar, hotel lobby, etc) and start kissing. Lovely.[/COLOR]

I am relay lucky living where I live I see gay couples holding hands and every now and then exchange a kiss. My State resonantly passed the bill making gay unions the same rights as married ones just short of saying the married word .

I applaud those of you who can hold hands in public. I'd like to think I can do it myself, but sometimes it is really difficult. PA has become so much bolder in the time we have known each other and he is more open about our relationship now than he has ever been Confusedmile:

However, we live eight minutes walk from his place of work (a lycée - a high school where students are sometimes kept on until they are 20 or 21) and it is a fact that a high number of, particularly, the ethnic minority students at the school have problems with a concept of same-sex relationships. Some areas of the town are perceived to be less safe after dark. While one side of me suggests caution is advisable, another side of me says very loudly that nothing will change until WE make an effort to present ourselves as normal people in normal, loving relationships, so I do feel conflicted about this. Sometimes we can be walking down a street, surreptitiously holding hands, until someone comes into view and then we let go. I know that would never happen if we were in straight relationships and our partners were women. I would never knowingly do anything to put him at risk or risk making his professional life more difficult. Kudos, Fred, for acting politically! This is why I think this campaign is so important. Would that it weren't necessary.

I'm just saying that sometimes I am not just holding my boyfriend's hand because I want to, sometimes I want to be seen holding his hand and the world will have to get used to it. On the other hand there are plenty of places where I would not feel safe holding my boyfriend's hand.
Fred

Am i the only one here who has a SERIOUS issue with PDA and judges ANYONE for holding hands or smooching in public?? I wouldn't expect it of anyone, be they gay, straight, something in between, or creepily preverted and eloping with a table. Furthermore, is such a day really going to have any productive effect, or will it just become one of those 'oh, you gays and your silly ways' things in much the same way pride has??

Sox,

Have a heart, romance is wonderful. When you are a couple you want the world to know how much you love each other.

Fred

P.S. Inexplicably I found PDAs nauseating when I was a singleton.
Fred