Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help NOW!
Sorry about the late aswer... I started in this fórum today... Smile

One day, I was in a job interview and the woman had 6 pictures (puncktured socks, double coffin, used phosphorus etc.. ) and than I needed to "sell" this products and find reasons to buy what I was selling.

I think that this kind of activities help with the arguments and how to do other people believe in what you want.

For marketing class, I think that Works and you can use more than one time... You can find another pictures and use the same activitie and change only the "product"

Smile

Get them to Invent something , advertise and market it .
If possible get and advertising agency to be a guest speaker.

Are you the only teacher in the world that teaches this subject? What do they teach?

I admit I have a bit of ignorance when it comes to teachers and what they do. Aside from go around with red markers threatening to fail students...

However I always worked under the assumption that Teachers followed a Plan - one laid out by the local authority over education, thus had to teach X number of hours of approved and accepted programing.

I also assumed that the Teachers Text Books had all the answers in red - or something... Hmm or did I copy the answers out of a magical book to pass Math in Jr. High? (shameless of me, I didn't apply myself - again....)

Quote:So PLEASE give me everything you got, I can't believe you guys never did anything interesting and enjoyable in school.

Back when I went to school, "School" was not the synonym for "Fun". Synonyms for "School" were: Drudgery, Work, Boring, Great Drugs... wait no scratch that last one, that was the synonym for Bars....which would come later in life.

Well actually I smoked pot in school - that was kinda fun.... So yeah Great Drugs is a synonym for School.

Anyway. I have no idea what the curriculum you are suppose to be teaching is. Surely there is this Approved Study Plan which may be all boring as hell, but is what the Board of Education believes should be used to program and mold young minds to fit their niche as a cog later in life in society.

If I recall correctly, the reason why my teachers went over the same ground week after week is because their Teaching Plan was geared for the slow minds of the average students and not geared for my slightly above normal intelligence.... Which means that these plans were laid out chapter by chapter to take up every mandatory school day and fill the hours with endless repetition and make it feel as if the subject was really well covered and to give us all something to do for the whole school year.

You know this isn't the first time you have come to us to help you with your school work...

I'm wondering if perhaps you need to sit there and reevaluate what it is you are actually doing and instead of cobbling together a teaching plan on the fly you need to come up with a point by point subject schedule which includes a fair share of boring crap with the interesting stuff that will get you from the first day of the school year to the last.

I think it is wrong to put this pressure on us to do your job for you.

I know you want to be that great teacher that every students likes and who leaves their kids with this impression that education can be fun and interesting. However life is not fun and interesting all the time, there is really, really long boring patches where people want to pull their hair out over the dullness of it all. Part of the education process is to prepare young minds for eventually living in the harsh realities of our world.

Anyway, I will only leave you with one suggestion... Ok a last suggestion since I did allude to a lot of suggestions up there.

Why not have the students come up with a study plan of their own on the subject? They have these devices, access to the internet - perhaps they can take what they know and actually apply it toward improving their own minds?

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:However I always worked under the assumption that Teachers followed a Plan - one laid out by the local authority over education, thus had to teach X number of hours of approved and accepted programing.

In this country, the so called plan or syllabus is just a list of three or four topics that we're supposed to teach and that's it. That's all the help I get from the government.

We don't even have any textbooks or manuals and even if we did, they would be sh**. I have to do my own research and pay for everything (incl. my students' photocopies, all the activities and field trips).

Woollyhats Wrote:I agree with a lot of the advice given.

What is the difficulty level of your class --- behaviourally speaking?

It doesn't work like that, Sweetie. If you do a good job (i.e. find the right activities) they will behave well.

My first year teaching was a catastrophe, one of my classes made my life hell - but looking back I now realise that they really weren't that bad, it was I who didn't know how to deal with them.

I've learned my lesson well and I haven't had any behaviour problems for the last 4 or 5 years.

partis Wrote:You are the teacher misterlove, my schooling consisted of 4 subjects including french and i cannot speak a word of french and my maths teacher refused to talk to me, yeah it was interesting!

Loooolll

Now that you mention it, your maths teacher doesn't seem very professional but that's an extremely common mistake among teachers. Teaching is a professional relationship and resentment is a terrible thing.

Chase Wrote:The group that manages to sell the most imaginary products to the other group wins.

I like this part, these kids are extremely competitive and we should make good use of that.

We recently did a stock exchange activity: they had to 'buy' shares from real companiesa and then compare their gains and losses with the rest of the class.

MisterLove Wrote:In this country, the so called plan or syllabus is just a list of three or four topics that we're supposed to teach and that's it. That's all the help I get from the government.

We don't even have any textbooks or manuals and even if we did, they would be sh**. I have to do my own research and pay for everything (incl. my students' photocopies, all the activities and field trips).

Hmm. I didn't know that. What about borrowing a syllabus from another country? Not the USA - oh God please not from that insane idiotic place. IDK England - I understand their education system has yet to be Americanized....

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hmm. I didn't know that. What about borrowing a syllabus from another country? Not the USA - oh God please not from that insane idiotic place. IDK England - I understand their education system has yet to be Americanized....

Thanks, Honey.

I'm not so sure about that. The problem here is not what to teach but how to teach them, i.e. how to get my message across. Believe me, it's not easy, not with these kids (they all come from the local slums and they all failed the 'regular' system). Conventional teaching simply doesn't work, I have to find activities that can motivate them.

My Android tablets were a huge leap forward, kids love technology and computers are essential these days. BUT I need to find new apps, I can't use Fast Notepad and videos on MXPlayer all the time.