Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A clever and responsible idea
Perhaps this should be obligatory on all HGVs. Only one question: Would it be visible in bright sunlight?

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

i wonder if it is a legal... not sure what to think about it either. it is a clever idea for sure, but could it also draw your attention too much?

mrex Wrote:i wonder if it is a legal... not sure what to think about it either. it is a clever idea for sure, but could it also draw your attention too much?

How many times have you been stuck for miles and miles behind a HGV not knowing whether it has been safe to try to overtake?
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

This technology driving aid is interesting.

I think for skilled drivers it could be a useful tool. Unfortunately my observation about most drivers is that the art of good driving, i.e. knowing the rules of the road, understanding traffic signals, passing vehicles, courtesy for merging traffic, thinking incorrectly that a turn signal gives you automatic permission to cut off nearby traffic or make emergent turns...the list goes on... the art of skilled driving is barely breathing. For drivers distracted by cell phones, a hundred new gadgets on new roll out cars, texting, etc., this technology could be dangerous as well. Invariably there are going to be idiots that watch the forward cam projection so closely that they miss something important...say the truck's brake lights, and rear end the truck. Or the visually distance challenged drivers who misjudge the amount of time and space passing a truck takes in proportion to the distance of oncoming headlights. Objects displayed in the forward projection camera system are closer than they appear.

I think the best option is still caution, patience, and good common sense: get your temper under control and wait for a safe passing condition before you execute the maneuver. It's better than the alternative. In most accidents that involve semi-trucks and passenger vehicles, the passenger vehicle may as well be the mosquito on our arm that we slap flatter than Taylor Swift's chest.

LONDONER Wrote:How many times have you been stuck for miles and miles behind a HGV not knowing whether it has been safe to try to overtake?

several times. some truck drivers use their blinkers to show a green light for bypassing them.

i dont bypass often if it is not really necessary, like some odd driver driving half of the speed on the road.. if you do some math, you realize that you dont win much in time by bypassing and driving alittle bit faster then (on the speed limit of course). but it depends on the distance of course...