Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A gay gene?
This is a debate that was quite prominant a few years back. Scientists thought that they were close to identifying a gene which controlled peoples sexuality although there was no concrete evidence. Im not entirely sure what i think of this debate, I suppose I come from the sociological school of thinking which state that peoples sexuality is socially constructred and heavily influenced by social influences and childhood experiences. Would be interested to hear what u lot think.

I tend to think that we all have some genetic predisposition as to what our tendencies will be, and in turn, our environment and social experiences shape how we exert those dispositions. Does that make sense?
In other words, I think our personalities and characteristics are to an extent already determined by genetics, but it is our influences and interactions in life that affect how we react to ourselves.

Although I have to say that I hope there is no "gay gene" because if one is ever discovered, there will no doubt be someone standing in line ready to "cure" it.

you're born and you being making decisions based on YOU ... where does it come from? from YOU .... that's it!

I'm delighted to see this on YouTube. If you missed it when it was television a couple of months ago I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

If you don't want to watch it I think it should be required watching for everyone else! There are six parts to this programme in which John Barrowman very bravely (imo) sets himself up to explore some of the latest scientific thinking on the whole nature or nurture arguments. Parts of the programme had me in tears.

I hope it helps inform this debate.

marshlander Wrote:I'm delighted to see this on YouTube. If you missed it when it was television a couple of months ago I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

If you don't want to watch it I think it should be required watching for everyone else! There are six parts to this programme in which John Barrowman very bravely (imo) sets himself up to explore some of the latest scientific thinking on the whole nature or nurture arguments. Parts of the programme had me in tears.

Fab vid Marsh .. if we don't all get over this .. how can u expect any country to state to get over it?

I guess I will have to watch the rest of the videos to make a decision... thanks marsh

That program with john berrowman was brill

I cant say I believe in that being gay is in a gene, I like to think I control my own path Confusedmile:

I don't think it seems likely to ever be as clear cut as finding a "gay gene". Inthemaking is precisely right to warn us against the do gooders who seem unable to distinguish difference from aberration. I happen to be of a school of thought that leans towards thinking that learning how to live alongside the different makes for a better society.

Anyone who has had any dealings with deaf people will recognise some of these fears.

Thanks for posting the you tube clip marsh, the story of the guy who went into a mental institution really touched me. Would like to see the rest of these programs but for now i think i would have to agree with cardshark. If we accept that there is a gay gene we would have to accept that there are genes for alchoholism, violence and this would lead us to believe we have no control over our behavior. Im not particuarly interested in over analysing why I am the way I am ,I have come to accept it , I still like to think I have choices and control over the way I am.

marshlander Wrote:I'm delighted to see this on YouTube. If you missed it when it was television a couple of months ago I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thank you for these videos, Marshlander... Mwah!!!
They are superb and John is one stunning human being. Cutissimo.