Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit of regret?
Alright, so a few monhs ago my position was terminated at work, right when I was thinking of quitting soon and moving to another city (Toronto).

The time has finally come for me to move on Monday, but I am starting to feel some last minute regrets on moving. First, the gay village in Montreal in the summer is so lively and amazing, the street is closed during the summer and everyone is out on patios and enjoying their time in the nice weather. I was out last night and it made remember how alive I feel when I am here in the summer and how I am going to miss out on all that fun by moving to Toronto. The last few years I have been battling anxiety and depression so I havent been able to really make the most out of my time here..

Toronto has always been a place I wanted to live. It's always been in my heart to move there. The vibe of the city, the things to do, the career opportunities, it just seems like an endless worth of opportunity in all aspects of life. The first language is english which is a plus, because french is what dominates here in Montreal for the most part. When I was in Toronto for an interview earlier this week I felt so comfortable and like I was back at home (in the province that I grew up in).

I know everything feels right about the move, I just really regret not enjoying myself more while I was here. My anxiety and depression really brought me down. I am ready to be happy again Smile It's been two years now since a break up of a relationship really affected me and it feels like I am finally ready to move forward.

I have nothing against living in Montreal, it's just that it's the perfect time for me to chase after my dream...

Has anyone had this similar experience, when your trying to move on to your next step in life, you know it's right, but you wish you could have dealt with the past situation differently? I wish I could have been happy here in Montreal, but I just couldn't be happy given the circumstance. How do you deal with this feeling of regret?

NayNay Wrote:How do you deal with this feeling of regret?
We feel the way we feel. Saying good-bye to anything can have some sadness associated with it. As far as regret goes, I ask myself "what have I learned from this?" But, beyond that, it all has to do with what I pay attention to... Why am I focused on this "regret" -- what's that about for me? I don't just shove it aside, I try to see what the emotional message is beneath the obvious.

Good luck with your move! I hope all goes well and easily and that you enjoy your new life! Wavey

I think nearly everyone feels this way to some extent. Montreal is an incredible city, but so is Toronto, so you have new adventures in front of you. Take on the new town as a challenge. You will find a lot there. Of course, you can always go back to Montreal to visit. Having lived there will put you at an advantage because you will know when and where to go. No sense regretting the past in one city when you have a new one as well as the old one to enjoy now.
I bid NO Trump!

Go for it. I've moved to the other side of my country from home... and I felt guilty and regretful before moving, and a little bit after - and I'm about to do it all again for my new job... but I managed to make new friends, and good friends too. So despite being scared I'm just going to go for it... can always drive 10 hours home to my mum if it all goes wrong! Which it won't.

Sometimes, it's good to be a little bit cruel to ourselves and force change upon us. We can always go home... but other adventures can't come home to us, we've got to go to them. Who knows what Toronto has in store for you Smile Montreal isn't going anywhere, and I have friends who live in Toronto and love it's gay scene so I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Thanks guys!

My friends and family have been really supportive of my move, it's just nice to hear an outsider's perspective on this. I know I can always move back if Toronto doesn't work out. Smile I think the lesson I learned is time is so precious that you cannot let yourself stay in a bad state for so long if it can be helped, or your going to lose time in your life that you will never get back.

Enjoy Toronto.

I love Montreal too...but I lived in TO for many years until we gave up our place in the city and moved out to our house in the country full time. I miss it about once a week.