Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A rather odd situation
This is sort of an odd situation, and slightly difficult to explain as well. I'll do my best to explain though.

I'm a loner. I don't like being around people. It's as simple as that. For this reason, I only have a few friends that I surround myself with.
Also, I haven't felt anything resembling love for another man for a long, long time. I think it's because I don't like being social with other people, and because I'm just afraid of being hurt like I was last time.

But here's the thing: I get really depressed every now and again, and just need to be around other people. This is odd when you take a look at what I just typed, and knowing that I was actually so depressed at one point that I attempted to take my life just makes it that much more odd. But anyways, at this point, I'll try to surround myself with some friends, and I get really clingy for a short period of time. Afterwards, I distance myself away from these people again, and they start getting worried over me because I become this reclusive hermit.

So, I guess my question is: How do I break my shell? I need to know how to better acquaint myself with more...normal people, I suppose. Any advice would be appreciated, I don't want to be a complete loser forever.

EDIT: I just re-read this post, and realized that there's a bit of rambling going on here. Not going to change anything, but I'll apologize for it. I'm really tired right now and can't be arsed into revising this.

It's not odd at all, actually. Smile There are a couple of people I know both here and there who are a lot like you. You just need to find the right people to relate with, is all. Sure it may take time to find them but when you do it makes all the difference.

Hey lolguy,

I know where you are coming from, I'm a massive introvert and often find myself distanced from people. In the last couple years though, I found a yearning that I need to change that. I've done various things, some with success, others not so much. All I can say is that sometimes you need to take a bit of a risk to put yourself out there. Give life a chance and see what happens. You never know who you will meet or where you will go. Also, if you feel really down at times, I might suggest seeing a good therapist, I have had to do that as well. They help you fight the negative thoughts you might have about yourself and help you find a new way to think about things. Just take it into consideration.

I hope you figure it out. You are still young and have lots of time to open your shell.

Hrm. i totally understand where your coming from, i'm not good at advice but i'll give you this much, try finding something you like doing and become social with it, this could open many doors for people to you know come up to you and say hey, do you like this or that, and you can build up some awesome friendships even more, who knows, i wish you luck! xo Smile

I can´t see anything odd in your situation ..... you should only handle it a bit better.
Maybe I can explain it ... I like to be alone, too - but I have friends wich know that I need to be alone and they respect it. My man knows it too .... and he can feel when its better to leave me alone for a while.
Try to find new friends .. or some more friends... but be very honest ... tell them that you like to be alone but that you are there if they need you. Tell them that you like them and that it is not their fault that you don´t call or meet them for a few days.
For my experiences it can be, that you lost some friends .. but on the other side you have friendships with people wich are worth to be a friend....
Some people think that you don´t like them or that you don´t want to have contact with them... and then you should explain, that that is not true.

But .. very important is : Watch, that you don´t are a loner without any friends....