Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A salutory lesson for the young
I know that young people are not supposed to come in to this chat but I am sure that some do by lying about their age. Well, this is for them:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

And how is it different when you are 25 and dating online?
I bid NO Trump!

I can obviously understand the intent behind these videos, ie educating young people about the dangers of the net, but at the same time these videos themselves make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like they've tried to be serious whilst mixing in the prank format and I actually feel sorry for these kids (especially the girl in the intro who's seemingly grabbed in the van to make it seem like she's been kidnapped?). Even though you can't see their faces they'll know they've been plastered all over the Internet on this shock video. Okay they were stupid for taking such a risk, but I'd rather know their parents had taken them off camera than see this, that also smells a little like 5 minutes of fame for the parents themselves. I just feel there must be a better way of educating kids than this. If my parents confronted me like this with a bunch of Internet Z-listers that I didn't know trying to stick their two pence in I'd probably feel very confused and let down later on.
Like I say I understand the intent completely, but I don't agree with the format.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

Often I use the Franklin's idiom, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. These guys really know how to convert an ounce to a ton.

It's a pity that even if you could get kids to watch this video a bunch of them probably still would make that kind of mistake. Unfortunately experience really is the best teacher.

Xyxthumbs

LJay Wrote:And how is it different when you are 25 and dating online?

Basically there is no difference but at 25 you really should be aware and be resposible for your own actions.

IanSaysHi Wrote:I can obviously understand the intent behind these videos, ie educating young people about the dangers of the net, but at the same time these videos themselves make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like they've tried to be serious whilst mixing in the prank format and I actually feel sorry for these kids (especially the girl in the intro who's seemingly grabbed in the van to make it seem like she's been kidnapped?). Even though you can't see their faces they'll know they've been plastered all over the Internet on this shock video. Okay they were stupid for taking such a risk, but I'd rather know their parents had taken them off camera than see this, that also smells a little like 5 minutes of fame for the parents themselves. I just feel there must be a better way of educating kids than this. If my parents confronted me like this with a bunch of Internet Z-listers that I didn't know trying to stick their two pence in I'd probably feel very confused and let down later on.
Like I say I understand the intent completely, but I don't agree with the format.

OK Ian, I understand your point to view but, how would you do it?

LONDONER Wrote:OK Ian, I understand your point to view but, how would you do it?
Maybe highlight real cases that have happened. It's just this format, it feels cheesy, kind of like a career vehicle for the guy doing it rather than the kids shown learning a lesson from the slightly am-dram meltdown from their parents. Maybe I'm just getting older and this kind of 'edutainment' format grates on me. If you're trying to be serious, use a serious format. If you're pulling a prank, be lighthearted. The two don't mix.

IanSaysHi Wrote:Maybe highlight real cases that have happened. It's just this format, it feels cheesy, kind of like a career vehicle for the guy doing it rather than the kids shown learning a lesson from the slightly am-dram meltdown from their parents. Maybe I'm just getting older and this kind of 'edutainment' format grates on me. If you're trying to be serious, use a serious format. If you're pulling a prank, be lighthearted. The two don't mix.

OK but in the YouTube video the shock tactic employed by the parents did seem to make the youngsters aware of the dangers they had put themselves in.

LONDONER Wrote:OK but in the YouTube video the shock tactic employed by the parents did seem to make the youngsters aware of the dangers they had put themselves in.
I can completely understand your point of view Londoner. It's just how it makes me feel personally. Oh well, as long as people learn a lesson Smile

IanSaysHi Wrote:I can completely understand your point of view Londoner. It's just how it makes me feel personally. Oh well, as long as people learn a lesson Smile

There's room for both points of view.