Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very long thread about frizzy drinks (Colas etc.)
Not my text as will be apparent from the American spelling:

The caramel coloring in your favorite cola causes cancer in mice — and may cause cancer in you as well, warn scientists. The chemical called 4-methylimidazole (4-Mel) causes colas to turn a rich brown color, but it's not related to caramel in any form. Although it's been known since 2007 to be carcinogenic, there's no federal rule to limit its use.

California's Proposition 65 law was enacted in 2012 to force foods sold in California that contain more than 29 micrograms of 4-Mel to carry a warning label. But in tests conducted last year, Consumer Reports found that a single can of some popular soft drinks sold in the United States contains much more than the daily maximum. One can of Pepsi One tested contained more than 195 micrograms of 4-Mel. Some manufacturers have promised to reduce levels of the chemical, but haven't vowed to ban it completely.

Editor's Note: Knowing these 5 cancer-causing signs is crucial to remaining cancer-free for life

"There’s no reason why consumers should be exposed to an avoidable and unnecessary risk that can stem from coloring food brown," says Urvashi Rangan, Ph.D., toxicologist and executive director of Consumer Reports’ Food Safety & Sustainability Center. "Manufacturers have lower 4-Mel alternatives available to them. Ideally there would be no 4-Mel in food."

An avalanche of studies in the past decade have linked soft drinks to a wide variety of diseases including obesity, heart disease, diabetes, cancer, liver disease, osteoporosis, and lung problems. Studies add to the mountain of evidence, and indicate that even modest amounts of cola can have devastating health consequences.

If you haven't been convinced to quit drinking sodas — or at least to drastically reduce your consumption — here are a handful of recent studies that show sodas damage your health:

• Kidney damage. A Japanese study found that drinking two or more soft drinks a day increases the risk of proteinuria, an increase in the excretion of protein in urine that is a major sign of kidney dysfunction.

• Cardiovascular disease. A study at Harvard University found that even a single can a day of regular soda can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease by 19 percent. Diet sodas may even be worse on the heart: A study from the University of Miami found a daily can of diet soda increased the risk of heart attack and stroke by 61 percent.

• Eroding teeth. A report published in General Dentistry found that drinking an excessive amount of soda can cause damage to teeth that's similar to that caused by smoking crystal meth or crack cocaine. A study looked at a meth user, a cocaine abuser, and a person who drank about two big bottles of diet soda a day. "Each person experienced severe tooth erosion caused by the high acid levels present in their 'drug' of choice — meth, crack, or soda," said lead author Dr. Mohamed A. Bassiouny. The acid in colas wears away tooth enamel, making teeth more likely to become decayed, sensitive, and develop cracks.

• Asthma and COPD. Australian researchers found that soft drinks increased the risk of both asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), and the more cola a person drank, the more their risk increased. Smoking increased the odds even more — smokers who drank about 16 ounces of soft drinks a day had a 6.6 increased risk of developing COPD.

• Endometrial cancer. A study funded by the National Cancer Institute found that the more sodas an older woman drank, the higher her risk for endometrial cancer. Postmenopausal women who drank the most sugary sodas increased their risk by 78 percent over women who drank the least.

• Behavior problems in children. A study published in the Journal of Pediatrics found that the more sodas 5-year-olds drank, the more aggressive behavior they exhibited, including getting into fights and destroying other people's belongings.

Switching to diet colas doesn't bypass health risks. Recent studies show that diet drinks cause more weight gain than sugar. Researchers at Purdue University found that the artificial sweeteners upset the body's normal metabolism and increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. They've also been linked to an increase of cancer: A study printed in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that men who drank more than one soft drink a day sweetened with the artificial sweetener aspartame increased their risk of several blood cancers. In addition, women who drink two or more cans of diet soda a day increase their risk of stroke and heart attack by 30 percent, according to a study presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology.

How can you break the soda habit? Try mixing fruit juice with carbonated water, and drink unsweetened tea and coffee as well as herbal teas. And you can always opt for water, adding mint, lime, or lemon for flavor if plain water is too boring.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

As with MANY things they say is "bad" for you........reports not withstanding..........they NEVER tell you how long you would have to be ingesting this stuff to see any effects.

One such report was several years ago, where some schmucks put out information on cooking in plastic containers in microwaves. They claimed that heating up or cooking foods in plastic containers via microwaves, left cancer causing particles to be left in the food from the plastic it was heated or cooked in.

There were many versions of this story over a few month time period. BUT, the article/story never told you how long it would take you to get sick from cooking in microwaves using plastic containers.

About 6 months after this story was being spread around, a scientific study came out, claiming that yes....cooking via microwave in plastic containers did, actually, leave MINUSCULE traces of carcinogenic particles in the food.

BUT......now here's the part the original story/article left out...........you would have to cook EVERY meal, EVERY day, in a plastic container for about 15 years, BEFORE you would see any effects from it...that is IF you ever saw any effects from it.

Then you have to take into consideration what KIND of plastic it is, as some plastics are harder to break down than others.

So, if any of these "scare tactic" articles ever get you to wondering........make sure the story/article has ALL of the COMPLETE information. If not, then more than likely it's made solely for the purpose of scaring people. Probably by some person or company that the product maker pissed off for some reason.

Personal side note:
I worked with this grandmother at a previous job. I noticed she drank a Coke everyday for lunch and break. Now she was a beautiful grandma. She had flawless skin, beautiful teeth, and was always perky and worked hard.

One day at break, I asked her if she every drank anything else besides Coke. She said no, she had been drinking a Coke three times a day since she was 17 years old, and she rarely drank anything else but water.

I asked her if she had ever had kidney stones, bad teeth, or bad skin, and she said she had all her original teeth (which were perfect) and had never had any major health problems.

I'm not saying she was typical, but you have to take into consideration a LOT of variables when hearing/reading articles/stories such as these. If they do not contain facts on ALL of the variables, then they are more than likely just "scare tactics". I am not saying they contain false information, but they rarely ever contain ALL the pertinent information you need to make a good decision.

Of course, then again, at the last company I worked for......there was this brain dead moron who came to work EVERY day with a Big Gulp in her hand (a giant sized soda from a convenience store) and ate nothing but fried bread products covered in sugar and butter.

This brain dead bitch was CONSTANTLY complaining and whining about WHY was she SO fat and felt like shit all the time?! And WHY was she ALWAYS having to spend her paychecks going to the doctor to find out WHY she was ALWAYS sick!!!

She was one of those morons that was the ongoing laughing joke of the company, because she was just SO FREEKING BRAIN DEAD!

I worked at that company for 4 years, and it was not until my last year at that company that she FINALLY figured out WHY she was fat and always sick! Until then, I had never seen her eat any veggies, only sodas and fried bread products.

Now, people wondered, HOW long would it take to figure out she was a goddamned moron?

It's not rocket science to know that sugar and caffeine are bad for you.

What is surprising is how bad fruit juice is. It has just as much sugar than coca cola. And people think fruit juice is healthy. Argh.

For comparison:
100ml Coca cola: 10.6g sugar
100ml Tropicana Orange juice (not from concentrate) 10.0g sugars

And then people say "Oh it's a healthier type of sugar". Come on...

Also

"State of California regulators estimate that consuming 30 μg per day [of 4-MEI] corresponds to a 1:100,000 risk of developing cancer."

I'll take those odds.

People love scaremongering. It really annoys me when the actual figures from the research aren't published. When a report says "increases the chances by 10 times" it might mean going from 0.00001% to 0.0001%.

Oranges are very high in sugar as it is. Its not news that oranges are high in sugar. But what you have to watch out for is the ADDED sugars.

"Fresh squeezed" orange juice you buy in the stores are from processed concentrated orange "syrup".

They squeeze the oranges, separate the pulp from the juice, the separate the sugars from the juice, then filter the juice......by then most of the water has been removed and its just orange sludge........then they add back some water, some of the processed sugar they removed, extra flavoring they removed previously (which is usually the oils from the rinds, which is why store bought orange juice is bitter), and add pulp if they are making juice with pulp, then its bottled and pasteurized.

If you want REAL, FRESH orange juice, you have to do it yourself. That stuff in the store is not ACTUAL fresh squeezed orange juice as YOU would understand it.

In the UK we have 3 types of orange juice:

- From concentrate. Cheapest. Essentially dried out into syrup,transported, and re-hydrated.
- Not from concentrate. Has all the original water but is processed - i.e. pasteurised and sometimes flavoured
- Freshly squeezed. Expensive but nice. This is pure, unadulterated orange juice. It only has a short shelf live though.

Eroding teeth because the person drank about two big bottles of diet soda a day takes the cake. After two big bottles a day, teeth will be the least of your worries. The comments on the original article are interesting. http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Headline/ca...id/563564/

Also, can someone explain to me why people in the USA call fizzy drinks "sodas"? No sodium is involved in making them.

because of soda bicarbonate to make the liquid bubble up

freelandia Wrote:because of soda bicarbonate to make the liquid bubble up
I don't believe so. As far as I know carbon dioxide is simply bubbled up though the water to make it.