Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A very obedient dog
I know that some dogs are very intelligent, especially mongrels, and this is a wonderful example of training:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

My Dog Is NOT Very Intelligent

I train my big dogs to do useful things....

Sirius my black lab Rottweiler mix..... She and several of my brother-in-law's dogs were all trained for being hunter companions - which also means they know when to remain silent. She can track and tree and flush and retrieve - an all around good hunter.

I fear she is too old for all of that now. She is going to hit 17 years of age in June.... The spirit is willing but her body is just not up to long camping trips and stuff like that.

Andi (Andromeda) A Yorkie/Schnauzer mix is a helper - I go out and pull weeds she will be pulling weeds with me - alright she doesn't have hands so she chews down tall grasses and shreds sticks and stuff - no real training involved - she 'helps' the best she can. Fully willing if not completely capable.

She actually will rototill a garden bed that I ask her to dig in... I point at a bed and say 'dig' and she will get right on that. Understand she has the terrorist, erm, terrier in her. Terriers were bred for digging up moles, gophers, rats and stuff - so she is an energetic line digger - rototiller....

At first she would dig just anywhere, now she knows where to dig where I want and when I want.. plus she has the holey corner of the yard where she digs to her heart content.

I know he was doing that for the video, but thats a bit much to be teasing the dog like that for so long.

That was pretty good though.

Animals are like people. They can be trained, you just have to figure out what kind of training they will understand in order to "get it".

MisterTinkles Wrote:I know he was doing that for the video, but thats a bit much to be teasing the dog like that for so long.

I'm sure that he got a reward at the end.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I know he wasn't being mean to the dog. I could tell the dog liked "the game"..................

Yeah, I hope the doggie got a bit of steak for that performance!!

[Image: donna3.gif~c200]