Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABANDONDED GREEK CHURCH IN TURKEY
i was staying in Turkey near Cappadocia when I came across this old Greek church, closed and abandoned. I was fascinated by the colours on the façade, especially on the capital of this column. I liked the combination of the terra cotta and faded blue but I liked the spirals on either side also. Just a pleasing image

And here's the facade and some of the decoration:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • andy

The colors are really interesting. Reminds me that those bone white marble statues, columns and temples all over Greece and Italy were actually painted, too.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

(09-22-2020, 02:47 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote: The colors are really interesting. Reminds me that those bone white marble statues, columns and temples all over Greece and Italy were actually painted, too.

Yes, I'm sure that to our eyes today, the Parthenon would have looked absolutely  horrendous.  There was an exhibition in the British Museum a few years ago and I think I took some pictures of what some of the statues might have looked like.  I'll try to find them.
[-] The following 1 member Likes LONDONER's post:
  • Bhp91126

Very cool pics. I see things like this and often wonder just how long it took to accomplish a structure like this.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(09-22-2020, 02:49 PM)LONDONER Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 02:47 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote: The colors are really interesting. Reminds me that those bone white marble statues, columns and temples all over Greece and Italy were actually painted, too.

Yes, I'm sure that to our eyes today, the Parthenon would have looked absolutely  horrendous.  There was an exhibition in the British Museum a few years ago and I think I took some pictures of what some of the statues might have looked like.  I'll try to find them.

Well, here's just one, a photo taken from the catalogue of the exhibition:

(09-22-2020, 07:17 PM)LONDONER Wrote:

Oh wow. This looks better than I expected. I’m wondering whether the Greeks would have used that bright shade of pink though.
Bernd

(09-22-2020, 06:54 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: Very cool pics. I see things like this and often wonder just how long it took to accomplish a structure like this.

Yeah this. It’s great to think that people have left behind something beautiful from their time on this planet.

I doubt anyone will ever dig out an old hard drive with some of my Excel spreadsheets on and appreciate them in a few hundred years.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

(09-22-2020, 08:12 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote:

Oh wow. This looks better than I expected. I’m wondering whether the Greeks would have used that bright shade of pink though.

Scientist and archeaologists hae found traces of paint on some statues and from them they have been able to work out which colours were used.  What I find stange is that some were depicted with ginger hair!

(09-22-2020, 09:57 PM)LONDONER Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 08:12 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote:

Scientist and archeaologists hae found traces of paint on some statues and from them they have been able to work out which colours were used.  What I find stange is that some were depicted with ginger hair!
Weird indeed. I hadn’t noticed... my eyes were elsewhere.
Bernd

(09-22-2020, 02:42 PM)LONDONER Wrote: i was staying in Turkey near Cappadocia

Were you able to visit the underground city of Derinkuyu?
It's somewhere in Cappadocia, not sure where though. I'd love to go there.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>