Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMERICA... big question
princealbertofb Wrote:On the subject of Presidents, Jim, I was trying to remember all the presidents that the US of A had had since John Fitzgerald Kennedy... Can you help me here? I remember (not in any particular order) Johnson, Nixon, Carter, Ford, Bush father, Bush son, Reagan, Clinton, which ones served two terms?
The President is limited to two elected terms, or one elected term if he served more than two years of an unexpired term (from the president before him)

Before that rule, the president was not limited. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected president four times, 1932, 1936, 1940 & 1944, dying in office in April 1945

Gerald Ford was never elected Vice President or President. He was US House Minority party leader when he became Vice President upon Vice President Spiro Agnew's resignation in 1973. Then, in August 1974 he became president when Richard Nixon resigned.

Ford was a true historical asterisk..

There was only one other non elected vice president and that was Nelson A. Rockefeller who was vice president from 1974 to 1977. He was formerly governor of the state of New York for many years.

Jim Wrote:The President is limited to two elected terms, or one elected term if he served more than two years of an unexpired term (from the president before him)

Before that rule, the president was not limited. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt was elected president four times, 1932, 1936, 1940 & 1944, dying in office in April 1945

Gerald Ford was never elected Vice President or President. He was US House Minority party leader when he became Vice President upon Vice President Spiro Agnew's resignation in 1973. Then, in August 1974 he became president when Richard Nixon resigned.

Ford was a true historical asterisk..

There was only one other non elected vice president and that was Nelson A. Rockefeller who was vice president from 1974 to 1977. He was formerly governor of the state of New York for many years.

Didn't realise that Clinton had done two terms... Somehow I'd forgotten. But then even George Dubbya's election is a bit of a mystery. :confused:

princealbertofb Wrote:Didn't realise that Clinton had done two terms... Somehow I'd forgotten. But then even George Dubbya's election is a bit of a mystery. :confused:

As you may recall, the presidential election in 2000 was a history making event.

It all centered on the electoral votes from Florida. Usually the president-elect is known within a few hours after the votes are cast on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. However, with Bush and Gore, the fight went on for several weeks, over the vote count in Florida.

Finally, near Christmas in 2000 the US Supreme court ruled that the counting must stop and that Bush had carried the state of Florida by about 500 votes, out of millions of votes cast in Florida the month before.

In the national vote count, Al Gore received about half a million votes more than George Bush did.

Go figure