Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orlando Massacre
I attended Pride yesterday, but I took precautions that I wish I didn't feel the need to take. Before leaving I packed a bag with a change of clothes and a small kit filled with medical supplies. While I sincerely hoped that I would not need them, and I took precautions to avoid being in danger myself, I knew others who planned to be there, and I wanted to be able to help them if they were injured.

I strategically parked away from the event and walked a distance to the parade route. I found a location where there weren't large numbers of people along the street, I dressed in my regular clothes rather than wearing my ube colored polo and rainbow flowered lei. After the parade had passed by my location, I walked back to my car and ate lunch away from the event. I returned an hour later, after many of the people had left. When I approached the performance area, I walked around to inspect the staging for anything/anyone that looked suspicious. Finding none, I settled down on the lawn, but not near the crowd, rather off to the side and further back than previously. I monitored the crowd, looking for anyone who looked out of place. Again, finding none, I laid back and enjoyed the performers.

JCasey Wrote:I attended Pride yesterday, but I took precautions that I wish I didn't feel the need to take. Before leaving I packed a bag with a change of clothes and a small kit filled with medical supplies. While I sincerely hoped that I would not need them, and I took precautions to avoid being in danger myself, I knew others who planned to be there, and I wanted to be able to help them if they were injured.

I strategically parked away from the event and walked a distance to the parade route. I found a location where there weren't large numbers of people along the street, I dressed in my regular clothes rather than wearing my ube colored polo and rainbow flowered lei. After the parade had passed by my location, I walked back to my car and ate lunch away from the event. I returned an hour later, after many of the people had left. When I approached the performance area, I walked around to inspect the staging for anything/anyone that looked suspicious. Finding none, I settled down on the lawn, but not near the crowd, rather off to the side and further back than previously. I monitored the crowd, looking for anyone who looked out of place. Again, finding none, I laid back and enjoyed the performers.

I've been doing this with every large event I've attended since 9/11. Carry a medical bag, and a go bag with food, water and shelter if I have to walk home.

I think a lot of people had their rose colored glasses shattered because of this event.

I've never attended a pride event...considering going to one myself. No idea what they're really all about and so on. The thing is how would you know if anything is out of place? Unless it is grossly obvious you might not know either way, while it is a good idea to take a look around for something that is obvious.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:I've never attended a pride event...considering going to one myself. No idea what they're really all about and so on. The thing is how would you know if anything is out of place? Unless it is grossly obvious you might not know either way, while it is a good idea to take a look around for something that is obvious.

I know the city and I attended last year so, I knew what to expect.

I really think this is just someone who could never come to terms with his sexuality and put forward this guise that he was associated with the terrorists. Whatever the actual motive was, it has created a lot of fears for people and that is the last thing that we need. So much of this country was lost on 9/11 because of the fear that it instilled in people. I don't want this heartbreaking tragedy to effect the gay community in that same negative way of becoming afraid and further destroying the rich fabric of that community. I see how wonderful it is, and the response of others allows me to still believe that people are generally good.

Every event like Orlando should challenge us to be stronger, kinder and more open to those who are not open to us. Allowing fear to take us into hiding is the wrong thing to do. Every act of decency by a gay person is a step toward understanding.
I bid NO Trump!

MikeW Wrote:The world is full of brutality, pain and suffering. What I find interesting is how much of it we never hear about... or even when some utterly gut wrenching tragedy like this happens? People yap on and on and on about it, endlessly... and in the end? NOTHING changes. Not one damn thing. We go right back to living in our safe little imaginary world that says "nothing bad is happening, or, even if it is, it isn't happening to me or anyone I care about, or in any case not right now." Meanwhile our economy is permeated with the blood sweat and tears of human suffering. Not so much yours or mine, of course, so who cares.

Always remember we started this world with technology made from stones, sticks and bits of fur. Progress has been difficult but we've made a great deal of it.

Also this extreme internal perspective is very very very American. Your media doesn't give a flippty fuck about world affairs unless there's a political spin, a devastating tragedy or it costs wall street some money.

Your history classes are 80% US history, 19% European history and 1% the rest.

A truly mind-boggling number of US citizens don't even have a passport. 54% compared to only 27% of Englishmen.

Every wealthy nation has a bubble but only America's is made of toughened bullet proof glass.

Religion or no religion humans will always find reasons to kill other humans.

Its in our nature sadly.