Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acute Pancreatitis Attack
It's unusual to be having an attack of pancreatitis or gallstones on the left side of the abdomen. Usually these pains are right sided going to the right side of the back and if it's pancreatitis which is bad you would probably end up in hospital already.

I have a suspicion that this might a stomach ulcers (peptic or gastric ulcers) especially of where it is and the fact you've had it on and off for years, and the relation to alcohol. Either way. Best get seen sooner so you can get started on the right medication.

Hope you feel better soon.

It could be many things, trust me, but from your description I'm almost 100% it's not pancreatitis or you'd be in a hospital right now. Pancreas is no joking material. Also as Virge said, a blood test can give you an answer about that, maybe you should go to another doctor? People should be more caring about their health!

Rareboy Wrote:Unfortunately....my Doc has just left for his holidays and won't be available until January 5th.....sigh....I am going to do everything I can to avoid a trip to the ER.....as I noted, I've been having episodes for several years...so as long as this isn't a blocked duct or gallstones (guuurrrrrkkkk)...I should be able to ride it out for a couple more weeks.

O great reasoning there, Rareboy.

I bet if if your car breaks down you wait to get it fixed until your mechanic is out of prison.

Rareboy, I'm not sure how it works in Canada but down here in the lowers if a doctor is not available he has a colleague available on call for emergencies. In my GP's office there are five doctors and they all cover for each other. Since my doc is out due to a death in his family, I got a call from the senior doctor in the practice explaining my MRI results. He called after hours and had bothered to read the results as well as to familiarize himself with my history from the office records. He took ten minutes to explain how he saw things and to help me figure out the best course of action until my regular doctor returns to work.

Just for you cynics out there, these guys are not making the big bucks for going the extra mile. I am a Medicare patient. As far as I am concerned they get high marks for professionalism and extra gentleman points.
I bid NO Trump!

Quote:It's unusual to be having an attack of pancreatitis or gallstones on the left side of the abdomen. Usually these pains are right sided going to the right side of the back and if it's pancreatitis which is bad you would probably end up in hospital already.

In fact, it was only because I learned that the pain from this can radiate from behind the stomach to the back and up to the left shoulder that it seems to make sense.

"The pain is usually centered in the upper middle or upper left part of the belly (abdomen). The pain is often described as if it radiates from the front of the abdomen through to the back."
eg http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pancreati...s_symptoms

Quote:It could be many things, trust me, but from your description I'm almost 100% it's not pancreatitis or you'd be in a hospital right now. Pancreas is no joking material. Also as Virge said, a blood test can give you an answer about that, maybe you should go to another doctor? People should be more caring about their health!

It is possible to have relatively mild symptoms and for the episode to resolve itself over a couple of days.

Quote:Rareboy, I'm not sure how it works in Canada but down here in the lowers if a doctor is not available he has a colleague available on call for emergencies. In my GP's office there are five doctors and they all cover for each other.

My doc is also part of a health team and since it is not a crisis.....I can wait for him to return since he knows me the best.........trust me, if it became unbearable...I'd go to the Emergency Department ....but the reality is, the diagnosis will require a lot more testing and screening than lab tests.....much of which would not happen over the Christmas holidays unless it was an acute emergency and I was in the Emergency department.....so....I have my fingers crossed and given my past episodes with this....I'm pretty confident that I can make it to the beginning of the new year.

I appreciate everyone's concern!!

Hmmm ok then....

Monitoring pain does little good, pinched nerves and gas can cause pain.
Are there any other symptoms? Are you running a fever(even low grade) or are you vomiting? Any diarrhea?
Discolored or smelly urine?
Infections do not just result in pain, they make us sick, unable to function or hold down food.
If you had an acute pancreatitis attack you would already be at the ER, my mother had one and nearly died from it.
I would not drink, eat food that is easy on the tummy and asap see my doc.
I hope that you are feeling better.