Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Lambert
eastofeden- I respect and understand what you've said. And agree with the bit about drag queens. However, you are no longer a school kid, where celebrities are the ones who influence others. Myself and a gay friend of mine have discussed how we are tarred with the same brush as many of the famous gays - Kurt from Glee, Adam Lambert, Alan Carr etc.We suspect this is mainly because ourselves and the celebrities are the only gays they have ever had experience with, therefore we're all the same.

Yes...I do understand the stigmas that you can experience as a gay teen in High School as I was also openly gay in school but try not to let other people's stereotypes get you down too much because it is just stupid to categorize any group of people ....we had David Bowie and Todd Rundgren though and of course Queen but it was more about androgyny than being gay really...and androgyny was cool at the time. Myself...I adopted Lily Tomlin as my gay "role model" because she was/is the funniest person I have ever seen and she never made any apologies nor did she get in anyone's face...I thought she was the coolest gay person I had ever seen at the time.

I agree that what we see on interviews may not be the real Adam because yeah, he seems too passionate and enthusiastic about everything. However, I don't really think he's creating a stereotype for all gays because he's just who he is. An individual - yeah, exactly.
I study in the American College of Sofia and there are a couple of openly gay teachers here, as well as the psychologist. Any student that comes out as gay is, I think, treated mostly very tolerantly and with respect to his individual choice. But thats just here because there is an entrance exam. In most of the public schools anybody that is gay would be bullied to total mental break down because that's just the way Bulgarian kids are. So I think the way you think of different social groups depends on your intelligence and the way you were brought up by your parents. And finally, does it really matter what people other than your friends think about you and who they compare you to?