Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed
As PA has mentioned, the Greek economy, and Athens in particular, is in the toilet right now. It may be that he's found himself, as the "affluent Australian" having to fund not only his lifestyle, but to support the lifestyle of some of the Greek friends around him.

There is going to be a close circle of Greek friends, that may well also be his emotional support network, and if the choice is to loose them, or help them out financially every so often then maybe thats what he's been doing.

You don't mention if he is in a relationship. Most Aussies on gap years almost always end up in London where there is a huge Australian base, and plenty of jobs available as well. Do you know why he seems to have settled in Athens given the economic situation right now?

Either way I think you have answered your own dilemma. You said you agreed to pay for a VACATION. I think the vacation element ended quite sometime back and now he has become reliant on you to supplement his income. Its time to put your foot down and set a clear date on when your going to end all financial support once and for all.

I'm a parent, and I still help out my kids who are both at university, but not on a regular basis. They have to learn to stand on their own two feet.

Id give him six months max, with a clearly set out scale of reducing financial support between now and the end of the six months, but your going to have to stick with it once proposed, otherwise he will continue to bleed you dry financially.

Good luck!

OlderButWiser.........

Yes he has a group of friends, mainly Greeks, a french guy and a few Italians and he calls them the boys. He was sharing accommodation with them but wanted for some reason to get his own place. They all often go clubbing and yes he probaly does pay because I check his bank accounts and I see where he is spending his money. A lot of it is at bars and Clubs. Thank God for google because I sort of keep track of him this way.

As far as I know, he is not in a relationship but he is very secretive about his lovelife and always has been. I have only met one girl he dated whilst in uni and that broke up due to probaly his wanting to have lots of boys nights out. I'm not sure but that's my guess.

I visited him in Athens a few months ago and I met some of his friends who all seem nice guys. He has a job waiting on tables and working in the kitchen but this is a very basic wage and if he watched what he spent his money on, I am sure he could get by but he likes to spend big or show off more likely......!

Yes I like that idea of giving him a time frame when the money will stop. I think I will give him one more month and then it will come to a halt.

thank you......