Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Encounters
The only two resources that exist on earth and not free floating in space are proteins and chlorophyll.

The only reason to invade earth is for the life it contains. All other mineral and metal resources are floating around in space in asteroids, comets and are far, far easier to get at without dealing with a native population.

Any species sufficiently advanced enough to traverse the vast distances between stars would have the technology necessary to take uninhabitable planets in the Goldilocks zones (like Mars) and transform them into habitable ones.

That would be more logical since taking an alien planet and adapting it to your needs is going to be more time consuming and 'expensive' since most likely the majority of life on that planet is going to be incompatible with your food crops and your bodies...

Humanity has already started passing laws which are similar to the Noninterference Directive (Prime Directive). There are international laws on the books that are designed to prevent contact with other human cultures that may be found, and allowing those cultures to advance at their own pace.

Any species that has attained the ability to traverse those vast interstellar distances will have reached similar conclusions about interfering or tampering with a native species. Thus we are most likely not going to be saved from ourselves by any ET at anytime.

Observation and sampling may actually be taking place. My gut tells me that any human samples taken are part of the millions of missing person cases that remain unsolved (no body found) and are not actually put back with half erased memories.

I could be wrong on that... Maybe the Aliens are that stupid and careless.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The only two resources that exist on earth and not free floating in space are proteins and chlorophyll.

The only reason to invade earth is for the life it contains. All other mineral and metal resources are floating around in space in asteroids, comets and are far, far easier to get at without dealing with a native population.

Any species sufficiently advanced enough to traverse the vast distances between stars would have the technology necessary to take uninhabitable planets in the Goldilocks zones (like Mars) and transform them into habitable ones.

That would be more logical since taking an alien planet and adapting it to your needs is going to be more time consuming and 'expensive' since most likely the majority of life on that planet is going to be incompatible with your food crops and your bodies...

Humanity has already started passing laws which are similar to the Noninterference Directive (Prime Directive). There are international laws on the books that are designed to prevent contact with other human cultures that may be found, and allowing those cultures to advance at their own pace.

Any species that has attained the ability to traverse those vast interstellar distances will have reached similar conclusions about interfering or tampering with a native species. Thus we are most likely not going to be saved from ourselves by any ET at anytime.

Observation and sampling may actually be taking place. My gut tells me that any human samples taken are part of the millions of missing person cases that remain unsolved (no body found) and are not actually put back with half erased memories.

I could be wrong on that... Maybe the Aliens are that stupid and careless.

I can agree, however, lest we forget Wars,Slavery,Propaganda,Dictatorship and the like, which all violate the Prime Directive, as each interferes to some extent or the other with Human progression, even of other cultures.

So I'm sure if humans can do this to themelves, then what why would an Alien race not see fit to also perpetrate such?

They equally have as much to lose as they do to gain, by following another species rules and perhaps even their own. Optimus Prime, however fictional, states and exemplifies this perfectly.

But then again, you're an Elf, so you won't have to worry. I wish us Slyphs(Sprite or Spriggan for the Europeans, of Air) were so lucky...

Looking at the past 300 years of changes in humanity and how it approaches many social issues, we see that humans are indeed changing. Sure humans haven't perfected the idea of equality, but more and more cultures are stepping up to the plate and at the very least paying lip-service to the idea if not enacting laws and slowly changing its societies view on issues like Child Labor, Women being property and equality of the races.

From strictly an engineering standpoint, humans will not be able to produce and manipulate the energies required to make an interstellar space voyage in a reasonable amount of time until around 2100-2150. And it would take the economies of most of the nations on earth to produce such a vessel.

The technologies needed will bring with them significant changes in how we treat individuals. The economy needed is going to force human cultures to learn how to cooperate in a manner that make the cooperation of the United States (as individual states) look like child's play.

Looking back at just the past 100 years we have seen societies change significantly when it comes to 'human rights'. Things that motivate these changes are economics and technology. Like it or not Abraham didn't need to free the slaves, technology would have done it soon enough as the cotton gin and mechanical cotton picker would have made keeping slaves too expensive compared to operating machinery.

Child labor laws were not enacted because people starting things 'well I guess our children are not our slaves' it became somewhat impractical to run the machinery of industry by children, over using adults.

Any advanced species capable of the economy and the technology to build and man a ship to travel those vast distances would have either learned how to set its petty nature aside and cooperate on a massive scale, or they came up with a whole new brilliant way to enslave their whole population.

I also think that only those species who learn how to set aside their difference and escape annihilation of self through warfare and mishap are the only ones that make it to interstellar space travel.

Something in my gut tells me there are trillions of planets that had an intelligent tool using species that self destructed before they left the womb...

trialbyerror Wrote:We are a biological experiment of some super alien species and earth is their petrie-dish, now bugger off until you can prove me wrong. Biglaugh

I had a cousin who thought the same thing.
He thought we were a huge experiment in some giants shoe box.
All the "stars" out there were air holes in the shoe box.
And "night" and "day" are when we are put in, and taken out of the closet.
The "sun" is when the box is opened up for inspection.

I don't have any evidence, but I sometimes feel our planet is a reality tv show for extra terrestrials.

http://dilbert.com/2013-06-17/