Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aliens from "outer space".......do you believe?
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I doubt any species that survived its on social struggle toward interstellar flight would hand a loaded gun to a child.

If you wanted that child to exterminate itself, you would.

What is considered an alien? It's believed that bacterial spores have occasionally been found in comets that fall to earth --- controversy over whether they originated on Earth exists and is well founded.

Just be sheer probability, I imagine that life probably exists in some medium in the universe. The probability that we'll find that life is unfortunately low --- we as a species will need to evolve substantially in order to locate, get to them, and learn to communicate if we so desire. Right now, various physicists are suggesting that 'warp speed' is theoretically possible. I suspect that if it is, it's going to be a great many generations before we even decide if it's possible, and many more before it happens if it is.

Are we as a species really ready to meet aliens? To be involved in inter-planatary or even inter-galatic politics?

We are very violent as a species.

I think it fortunate that we haven't had the chance to give our whole planet a terrible impression...yet.

I do believe life exists on other planets. What kind of life, how far away, etc., I would not make a prediction on.

MisterTinkles Wrote:What about all those cave drawings and Egyptian symbols that supposedly depict beings from space?

What about those ancient man-made land/rock formations in South America that are giant shapes and symbols that can only be seen from a up in the sky?

Who is to say WE are the only planet in the universe without space travel capability?

And what about all those wonderful religious books that have been written over the millenia? And all of the religious artwork depicting various deities? Humans are quite capable of imaginative invention.

The man-made land/rock formations exist in other parts of the world as well, and make for a good argument that we have been visited. I'll give you that. But I won't say it's conclusive, or even compelling enough to change my viewpoint. Regarding ancient peoples they could just as easily have been trying to communicate with their "gods" by making structures large enough to be seen from the sky. The truth is we'll never know what they were doing unless an alien hands us some documentation about it.

As for the last statement, I believe I said something similar. Alien races might very well not have space travel either.

megumidesu Wrote:i'm fairly certain that this girl i know is an alien
or maybe a cyborg or something

Yeas you reminded me there was this guy who my freind dated who was mega weird and really big on conspiracy theory's and the way he acted was, as I put it, an alien come to view our way of life. So maybe... Or he could have jus been a weirdo

Ekwarph Wrote:I hardly believe in extraterrestrial form of life. I think it requires such complex combination of things to happen. Other complex/incredible things may happen on other planets, but here it's life.
Well, I have no evidence but irrationally that's what I think.

All the biology professors I have asked have been telling me biopoiesis is a lot more probable than what a Creationist would tell you. My last biology lab instructor even told me "abiogenesis" has happened multiple times on Earth.
Ugh, Ekwarph, you and I are engineers. Let's leave all that evolution stuff to those biologists and biology students. While they're unraveling the mysteries of life you and I can sit back making twice the money they're making while designing robots to fulfill all of our immediate desires.

Chase Wrote:All the biology professors I have asked have been telling me biopoiesis is a lot more probable than what a Creationist would tell you. My last biology lab instructor even told me "abiogenesis" has happened multiple times on Earth.
Ugh, Ekwarph, you and I are engineers. Let's leave all that evolution stuff to those biologists and biology students. While they're unraveling the mysteries of life you and I can sit back making twice the money they're making while designing robots to fulfill all of our immediate desires.

F*cking American capitalist :p

to think were the only ones is just plain dumb - not so long ago were thought the earth was flat lol,, now were about explore to the edge of our solar system -

would they be here now or visiting - who knows ....but whats with all the anal probing they like to do ( or is that just an American abduction thing lol ) they need to put some of these people on the Kinsey scale - why come all that way to stick something up my bum ??

Ekwarph Wrote:I hardly believe in extraterrestrial form of life. I think it requires such complex combination of things to happen. Other complex/incredible things may happen on other planets, but here it's life.
Well, I have no evidence but irrationally that's what I think.

If you read anything about thermodynamics of biomolecules and metabolic pathways, and the number of requirements needed for cellular functions to have started, you'll come to find out that life here on earth was practically a miracle too...just saying

southbiochem Wrote:If you read anything about thermodynamics of biomolecules and metabolic pathways, and the number of requirements needed for cellular functions to have started, you'll come to find out that life here on earth was practically a miracle too...just saying

Ok, I'd be interested to read some about it.

this is pretty basic stuff, but very much explainatory

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultrane...hesis.html

if aminoacids can be found in some meteorites and some archaea can live on extreme conditions of pH, temperature, pressure, etc, it's not that unthinkable that it could have happened somewhere else..

the question is how many places on the Universe that we can search containt planetary masses earth-like..

there are a few candidates out there, alas, we still need the proof