Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allowing gay men to give blood
Canucker Wrote:...it says nobody can have anal sex until 18, straight or gay.

... which doesn't necessarily mean that people obey the rule. Who's going to know whether you've done it or not other than your partner in crime?

I can't give blood either but it's because I have been to Iraq in the last 365 days.

ardus Wrote:I can't give blood either but it's because I have been to Iraq in the last 365 days.

So what's the ruling behind "having been to Iraq"?

Iraq is on the list of countries that are considered dangerous to have lived in.

I was living in San Francisco when 9-11 hit. They were airing all these tv spots to donate blood, we need blood, running low on blood. So I did my duty and rode my bicycle thru dangerous downtown traffic to the Red Cross. I sit down and am asked to fill out a long form.

I give them my form and wait 15 mins to be called and I sit down with rolled up sleeves and they tell me they cant take my blood because I checked one box.

I would have appreciated a large sign out front "No Gay Blood" so I wouldnt have wasted my patriotic duties.

Before I went into the army, I'd given blood. When I was in the army, I gave blood. No one asked me whether I was gay or not, and whether I'd had any gay sex.... Then, the Aids crisis struck and I no longer thought it was safe to give my blood even though I was pretty sure I hadn't exposed myself to the virus in any way. I just stopped giving blood. Now that I am in a gay relationship, I CAN'T give blood, apparently, even though my status is probably safer than a lot of heteros' out there. But if you remember there was a great scandal in France about contaminated blood transfused into haemophiliacs... A HUGE scandal. I know there are other groups that aren't supposed to give blood and that the blood banks routinely turn away. But I really don't understand why they can't just test all the blood that comes in, routinely. Maybe it's something to do with costs? In any case, I certainly feel discriminated against.

okay, signed !
I'm number 180 :tongue: