Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Monastery at Petra
During lockdown I haven't had much chance to indulge in my hobby so I'm resporting to posting shots I've taken in the past.
These come from a visit to Petra in Jordan in 2002.  They're not the highest quality photos.  Unfortunately the originals were stolen a couple of years back when I was robbed of two high capacity hard discs where I had the originals stored. 
Not as famous as the better known "Treasury" that is the first site that one sees on entering the city, the Monastery takes some effort to see. You have to climb more than 800 steps to reach it and in the desert heat not so many people want to do that. In my opinion, in many respects it is a more impressive monument. It's hard to believe that this was not built but carved out of the solid rock.

The mule or donkey in the foreground and the people in the main entrance, gve you some idea of the proportions of the edifice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams
[-] The following 4 members Like LONDONER's post:
  • andy, Bookworm, CellarDweller, InbetweenDreams

When did you take those photos @LONDONER ?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(07-29-2020, 03:08 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: When did you take those photos @LONDONER ?

I think it was in 2002 but, having lost my hard discs I lost a lot of my correspondence also so I cant look back.  

I'm going to change those photos.  I've just found some slightly higher quality ones on my computer.  These area a higher resolution and if my memory serves me right, they were taaken with and Olympus 5050
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams