Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Altering derogatory words
I don't know if this would be a good debate or not. This applies to the online world, since you can read it. But in my mind, I think of the derogatory word as whatever it is I type out online.

What do you thinks when the word gay and suck are used in a negative way? Examples: "That is so gay!" and "Oh well, you suck!" Personally I don't take offense to it. However I know that there's certain people in the LGBT community who get offended by this. When I used to be with my ex, he didn't really like it. Now instead of using "sucks", we would use "sux." For "gay", we used "ghey."

Have you done this before? Does it make a difference to spell it differently when using it in an IM or post?

It depends on the person.

I don't mind words like gay, queer, queen, etc. However, context is king, and if they are used in a derogatory way then I'll rightly be offended.

Fag and faggot are almost always derogatory except when referring to cigarettes or meatballs respectively. E.g. I have a gay friend that delights in "bumming a fag" (asking for a cigarette)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

derogatory words.... don´t know ....

For me it seem better to call me gay then " he´s a homosexual"... gay is to type faster Confusedmile:

And this "it´s so gay" i think its more a friendly joke than a affront.... for me it is much more an insult to call me "sister":mad: or call me "she" :eek: or something like that. Those who have already tried, knows my reactions....
According to biology book I am a male .... and if you ask my friends, i´m a really alphamale and I have very few female behaviors... and sometimes a Macho...

There's one I came across recently, "Jaffa" The etymology is found in Jaffa Fruit which are artificially pollinated so as not to produce pips or seeds. Seedless - not reproducing their own kind.

I had this used towards me by a guy in my last job, goofing about with another guy on the shop floor. He said he was only joking and that anyway "Jaffa isn't offensive" I told him I would decide what I found offensive and if he used that word towards me again I'd make it a disciplinary matter.

Some people!

interesting question... I like things about intonation Tongue

it's all in the context and delivery, which makes it difficult. In a perfect world I'd love for gay people to be completely intergrated so this didn't happen, but let's be real -

case in point - I'd seen my boyfriend that same night and after he left my brother's phone rang with this weedy ringtone. I told my bro it sounded gay and he laughed (he's straight). So you have to be aware of how you're using it; and also I feel I'm allowed to. The sad thing is I've hung out with straight friends and if they accidentally drop the bomb and say something homophobic jokingly they all kinda feel guilty and it creates an atmosphere. I don't honestly mind it because we've hung out for years, and it's not aimed at me; it's just common usage. Might sound weird but that's how it is.

TLDR? ; Playful things I can deal with. F*ggot is my pet hate, it's the coldest word that rings in my ears when I hear it. That's way over the line.

To paraphrase something I read recently - when the last gay has been bashed come and ask me. Then I can tell you whether it's funny or not.

i dont like it saying like gay and tthat. if somone laufh about gay amd said it is bad i say dont say it you are wrong

One thing you have to remember is that words evolve over time. Who knows what "gay" will mean in 60 years from now. You just never know. It all really depends on context when it comes to those words.

I understand the evolution of language and the fact that words change meaning over time; However, I'm not so keen with the negative use of the word "Gay." Then again, I'm just like one of the other posters in that I call flamboyant things "Gay" to my friends all the time. The difference here is that I'm not demeaning all gay people in the process--I'm merely taking the opportunity to laugh at myself and my people. I believe there's a difference between everyone using a word to demean and to hurt a group of individuals and that group of individuals changing the meaning of a negative, derogatory term to mean something positive and affirming. So, I suppose my opinion depends on the context in which the word is used as well.

I have no problem whatsoever with the word "Queer" now, because the connotations of that word have forever changed. After all, we now have Queer Theory, Queer As Folk, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Queer Literature, etc. I understand that alot of old school people still hesitate to use the word, but it's just part of my everyday language at this point. In fact, I feel that the label "Queer" is much more inclusive than "Gay" or "Lesbian," etc. To me, the Queer Community includes anyone from any point on the kinsey scale and with any fetish or gender identification. I like the inclusiveness of the word so much that I often identify myself to people as being Queer.

And this wouldn't be a discussion unless we at least mention the "N word" and how the African American community has redefined and embraced that term.

This is an interesting debate. I've enjoyed reading what everyone has to say, and I've enjoyed figuring out what I thought about it.

The Antagonist

I'm still not that into the word "queer" for some reason. My mom uses it in a negative way, unfortunately. The way she says it is extremely bad and mean. She called my ex this a few times and she really hurt his feelings.