Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Altering derogatory words
Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Actually the trend to use 'gay' as a negative has been getting worse over the decade it has been use. You know as in 'That car is so gay'.

It is a disturbing trend ...

It seems to me that somewhere somebody came up with a very good way to make 'gay' a very bad word again.

Probably popular television and the fact that everything spreads these days, good news, bad news and everything that goes with it. Anything can cause an oil slick these days.

imo i use words like fag n assmuncher but i dont mean to be mean or anything about it and the gay dudes i know say the same shit. like im black and i say the n word (idk if its banned here or anything) and i don't mind if whtie dudes say it too get what im saying? theyre just words and i think people got to get sticks out of their ass if they think anythings wrong w/ it

No, Razberry, words ARE important... Think of what people did to others on account of certain speeches heard during World War II for instance. See the destruction!!! See what havoc rumours can sometimes create (in the tabloids, in people's private lives). Words convey ideas and people act upon ideas and ideals, so don't say words are NOT important. They are, because we're a species that has developed a very complex system with our words. The words of the LAW are also important, because they define what you can and cannot do in your society. If it weren't for words we wouldn't even be having this conversation on these forums right now. I'm sorry but I can't agree with you.
The fact that you call yourself a nigger sometimes is OK as long as it's not being used in a derogatory way (it's playful, self-mocking, humorous maybe...). It's about what's accepted and acceptable and what is not in any layer of society and any social group. I trust when you call yourself a Nigger, you know exactly how you mean it. If anyone else used it to speak to you, and depending on the situation, you might find it extremely disrespectful and condescending, and you would be right to think that way.

While self deprecation has its uses, it's sometimes a good idea to stand up to abusive uses of words that have no reason to be discriminating or rude. As a gay man, I refuse to be reduced to such a term as fag or assmuncher (for all you know, I don't care for rimming) because I'm not just those things, no more than you are just an envelope of dark skin.

Words are just words. It's the intonation and what person is using them that you got to worry about.....like most have said