Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Altering derogatory words
gay peple not say badwords for not gay peple. so not gay peple shoudent say bad words.

Cutieboy Wrote:I'm still not that into the word "queer" for some reason. My mom uses it in a negative way, unfortunately. The way she says it is extremely bad and mean. She called my ex this a few times and she really hurt his feelings.

Yeah, a lot of people still don't like or accept the word.

joseph Wrote:gay peple not say badwords for not gay peple. so not gay peple shoudent say bad words.
I'm sure I've heard a few, but you are right that our words for straight people are usually milder. Could that be because we are generally more fabulous and intelligent? Rolleyes

marshlander Wrote:I'm sure I've heard a few, but you are right that our words for straight people are usually milder. Could that be because we are generally more fabulous and intelligent? Rolleyes

Yes, I have to agree that we are more fabulous and intelligent! Rolleyes

In all seriousness, there's a few dumb gay people out there. I dunno who they are and I don't want to know 'em.

I agree some words if used as a negative will offend me, ie queer or faggot. Even the word homosexual feels negative, but gay does not. If someone makes a comment or a joke about gays and its funny, and not directed at someone, then this does not offend me. Lunatic rantings by the church against gay people is offensive, I can not respect anybody who do support these views or encourage the spread of these views.

Yes, "homosexual" has been used in negative tones for many years. It really depends on how people digest the word. I sometimes take offensive to it. I hardly ever use the word.

I think the word "Queer" is wrong plain and simple not much different to "weird" or "wrong" and it's a negative assumption......

I had a word with my daughter about the word "Faggot" and "fag" the other day and explained that she should look for better ways of expressing herself.....I told her that if she used it as an adult it could really hurt someones feelings...get her fired....and completely mess up her life.......I think she got the message :biggrin:

I have no problem with any/every anti-LGBT word, but only when they aren't intended as hateful. The worst word in the language is 'faggot', at least to me, but I've got no issue with it when the intent isn't harmful. Not such much the eye of the beholder, as the heart of the speaker.

Actually the trend to use 'gay' as a negative has been getting worse over the decade it has been use. You know as in 'That car is so gay'.

While it started in just the English language, similar terms are now being used in German, French and various other languages around the globe.

I read a comment about 2 to 3 months ago on another board where there is a Chinese version of 'That's gay' being used to express a negative.

It is a disturbing trend simply because it is reinforcing the 'bad = homosexual' connection and no one appears to be protesting it too much.

Gay was for a while a derogatory term, we homosexuals adopted it and turned it around. There was a period of time (70's - 90's) when gays adopted and attempted to turn around queer and faggot. With less success than we did with gay.

It may be because the older definition of gay (before it was used to mean homosexual good or bad) meant 'happy/joyful'.

It seems to me that somewhere somebody came up with a very good way to make 'gay' a very bad word again.

I'm gay to be gay and don't say that's gay. Tongue Right there, I used all the meanings of that word in one sentence.