Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Being Too Brave?
My good friend who is an expat living in Malaysia asked me to think twice before coming out - partially or completely. He asked me to think hard on it due to my background that I am attached with.

I am a Muslim living in a country where its main religion is Islam. Although my country has progressed wonderfully as a very modern country, most people particularly the older generation are still strongly attached to the religion and culture. Gays do exist widely in the urban city but that doesn't mean my country and its religious people do not condemn it.

Whatever the decision is, my friend would still support me though.

My non Muslim friends also think that I am generally too brave as well. First, I'm gay. Secondly, I am known to be agnostic. They know that I am not afraid to have an open discussion on sensitive issues related to my religion but they asked me to tone it down a bit as they are concerned with my safety.

So should I tone down my guts a bit? is it wrong for me to come out due to my background? Any thoughts on this? I would appreciate it very much.

Thats a question I can´t answer, because i have not enough informations about yourself, your countrys law and your family.. so I don´t know what maybe happens to you.
To answer this I must learn much more about your Country, the law, I think the religion too, and much more about you.
If I would answer this at this time and something bad happens to you I have failed against you and against my religion.

You are not too brave. If you want to come out, the do it. There is no such thing as being too brave. Good luck. :]

I don't know what the political situation is in Malaysia, but how much would it take for a change to a more fundamentalist form of government? Do what you can where you can, but remember if you play safe you live to fight on another day. Best wishes to you, Jay. Yes it sounds like you are a brave man to me.

Okay thanks guys for your input. Much appreciated.

According to our law, you could be fine and/or prison up to a few years. But from what I see, paying fine is the only punishment that being practiced in this country so far. This penalty only applies to the Muslim folks if they got caught in any kind of open and social gay activities (ie. attending gay club).

Cops raided a local gay club few months ago and as far as I know, the gay Muslim clubbers had to pay fines. I don't know if they had to spend their nights in prison or not. The non Muslim folks weren't charged at all. They were let go.

I think for my country, the worst punishment does not come from the law itself. The worst comes from the Islam community. They will condemn you for your action.

Ok, I think I just answered my own question. But I wouldn't figure it out without your guys input. Thanks!

Generally speaking, I'd say that discretion was the better part of valour.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I have read the laws against gays in your country now and I agree with fredv3b... discretion seems to be the best way. Be very careful !

The german foreign office has issued a travel warning for gays visiting your country.

I think this is not a question of courage but you must look for the best of all possibilities to live still a safe life

Jay Wrote:My good friend who is an expat living in Malaysia asked me to think twice before coming out - partially or completely. He asked me to think hard on it due to my background that I am attached with.

I am a Muslim living in a country where its main religion is Islam.

My non Muslim friends also think that I am generally too brave as well. First, I'm gay. Secondly, I am known to be agnostic. They know that I am not afraid to have an open discussion on sensitive issues related to my religion but they asked me to tone it down a bit as they are concerned with my safety.
I think your friend is right. I would think twice before coming out in a Muslim country.
I used to be Christian but now I'm agnostic.
Are you Muslim or agnostic? I don't understand how you can be both. Either you believe or you don't see how it's possible to believe...........?

peterinmalaga Wrote:I think your friend is right. I would think twice before coming out in a Muslim country.
I used to be Christian but now I'm agnostic.
Are you Muslim or agnostic? I don't understand how you can be both. Either you believe or you don't see how it's possible to believe...........?

I'm agnostic but like it or not, Islam remains as my lawful religion as I can't denounce Islam. It's not possible to denounce it. A few had tried to no avail. Their actions only caused uproar from the religious muslim folks. According to the law, as far as I understood you can actually be sent to prison and rehabilitation center for trying to denounce.

I'm agnostic but I can't run away from the title "Muslim" due to my race and nationality.

You are a very brave man for even considering this Jay but I would have to advise you against coming out officially.

I'm agnostic but like it or not, Islam remains as my lawful religion as I can't denounce Islam. It's not possible to denounce it. A few had tried to no avail. Their actions only caused uproar from the religious muslim folks. According to the law, as far as I understood you can actually be sent to prison and rehabilitation center for trying to denounce.

I'm agnostic but I can't run away from the title "Muslim" due to my race and nationality.

This for me is more frightening than the other part (coming out).