Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I ready?
There are several reasons why I want to come out to my parents. So I can dress like I normally would, stop lying, and being open and being able to be me without hiding it. I know my parents love me, but a part of me is terrified to come out. I don't even know how to start it or even bring it up. I know if I plan it, I would be nervous all day. I want to be natural. I just don't know how to go about it. I am 24 I live at home because of the economy, Can't find a decent job with my education but anyways! I want to come out. A part of me is ready and the other half is not Sad

Can you guys give me some pointers? tell me how you came out?

read through some of the stuff posted here.
not a big issue if you stayed where your at till your for sure made up your mind.

Unfortunately nobody can tell you how to come out to your parents, because it's an intensely personal experience. Only you know your own mind and circumstances. I can however understand how difficult and unsettling it can be to effect this kind of change into your life, by coming out to them.

Major change is a difficult thing for everyone, but in change we find growth and eventually we come to a new and hopefully better place in our lives. When the desire to make that change is stronger than the status quo, fear is replaced by resolve.

When resolve replaces the fear, you will find your own unique way to make that change.

I wish you all the best in finding - your resolve.

If you know they love you and won't kick you to the curb, what are you afraid of, exactly?

confusedboy Wrote:So I can dress like I normally would, stop lying, and being open and being able to be me without hiding it.

A part of me is ready and the other half is not Sad

What about slowly starting to dress the way you would like? To plant the idea in their head and let them get used to it? You can see what their reaction will be.
Maybe they already know Smile

Counselor Wrote:If you know they love you and won't kick you to the curb, what are you afraid of, exactly?

Yeah. I kind of agree. If they're not the sort of parents who are going to kick you out of home or send you off to some religious camp to try and change your sexuality, then my advice would be to do it. But -- and it's a big but -- I don't know you and I don't know your situation.

All I can say is that I wished I'd come out to my parents earlier. I wished I'd come out at school, though it might have been hell. But now, looking back on it, I just wished I'd got the whole thing over with. I lived a lie for years, and I wish I had those years back to be myself in.

When I did finally come out to my mother, it was no big deal. She said, "I'm glad we've had this conversation."

She knew -- obviously -- because I think parents know these kinds of things. Maybe yours don't. How can I possibly know?

Ultimately, it's your decision, and I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but it might be a lot easier a few months down the road.

I'm not out yet, but two people already know about this. My mom is one of them.
I decided to tell her first, because although I am closer to my father, I know my mother is more comprehensive and also because I told my father about my relationships during my teenagehood so I don't know how he would react.
My mom cried and said she wanted me to be happy. I guess this is be best answer I could ever get.

Hmm. It's just one of those things for which there is no easy way round; you just have to take the plunge and hope for the best. However, go through this ordeal and there's a reward of relief and satisfaction at the other side - wait for a few days until the dust settles and you almost certainly will be so glad you finally took the bull by the horns. All the best!

Then dress the way you normally do, act the way you normally do and be natural.

Tell me, when is the last time a straight person walked up to you, hemmed and hawed and went through the process of 'coming out' straight to you?

They didn't. You surmised they were straight by them being themselves.

I think your parents will get a clue if you start dating a nice guy and bring him home to meet them.

Be who and what you are, instead of trying to act straight, act the way you are and allow the 'secret' to not be such a secret.