Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I ready for a relationship?
Hi guys,

My friend just broke up with his partner yesterday. And I brought him out to make him feel better.

But since I had never been in a relationship before, I'm not really sure how to console him.

i was just wondering....

How to know whether one is ready for a relationship?

bluedragon Wrote:Hi guys,

My friend just broke up with his partner yesterday. And I brought him out to make him feel better.

But since I had never been in a relationship before, I'm not really sure how to console him.

i was just wondering....

Why are you asking this question? What you're seeking is to console him or take him on the rebound? If that's the case you pretty well know what's your answer. Consoling someone and being ready for a relationship is to me two different issues from two different points so what's the real question here?

It sound like you're asking if you being his "rebound" would be a good idea.

In that case? God no. He needs time to heal, especially if you're wanting to have something lasting with him.

Hmm.

I would have to say that no one is every really ready to be in a relationship.

Sure many want to be in a relationship, many are even getting involved, but ready for it? Doubtful.

Since humans possess near infinite diversity that can be combined in near infinite combinations, there is really no way for one to actually prepare to be with any given individual.

Lol I've been with my BF six years and I'm still not sure that either of us is ready for this relationship.
...trial and error...
Elefant

Adam Wrote:Lol I've been with my BF six years and I'm still not sure that either of us is ready for this relationship.
...trial and error...
Elefant

That's because nothing is written in advance. And relationship is the word many people look for when they actually mean companionship. Smile

Believe it or not you don't have to say or do anything to console him. Just be a friend and listen. Do things with him to help him move on with his life. Just be there whether he thinks he needs company or not.

As for 'knowing when you're ready" for a relationship, I don't know. I was no where near ready for one when I put eyes on "a guy" for the first time back in 2008. I knew real quick I had to get ready for a relationship if I was going to have a chance with him. It took 18 months for me to "get ready" and make him realize I was ready and that I was 100% serious. If I hadn't met him I'd probably still be single.

bluedragon Wrote:Hi guys,

i was just wondering....

Hmmm...not really what I was expecting from the thread title. It is difficult to know when we are ready for a relationship, as has already been said here. It comes by trial and error. It is much easier to know when someone is not yet ready for a relationship. Your friend just broke up with his boyfriend yesterday and as you console him if you are going in with the idea now is your chance with him, as he picks up the pieces, I can tell you that you are not ready for a relationship. With him or anyone else at this time.

If your friend has just broken up, what he probably needs now is a shoulder to cry on (maybe) or someone to listen to him rant, but probably not someone to fall in love with him... not just now. Like someone's death, a broken up relationship takes a while to mourn. Give him that free time to mourn. Depending on how shocking the breakup was, or whether he expected this to happen, it'll take more or less time for him to be ready for a new relationship. We are talking about a male friend, aren't we?
Are you interested in this person for a relationship, yourself? But, if he's a friend, you already have a relationship with him: that of a friend. Maybe wait a while before you declare your flame for him if you've been harbouring a secret love for him from afar...

Don't risk getting involved with someone too soon out of a relationship. They & the dating may seem completely "normal" & "fine" at first only for it to come back & haunt you later. Sometimes much later. How to EVER really "know" when someone you want to date is over their ex OR how long to wait before dating them? I have no idea.