Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the only one who doesn't feel the need to 'come out' to family?
I don't know. I came out to my mom and her reaction was not what I expected, but it made things easier. She understands me better, and I'd like that to happen with the rest of the family.

Being gay/bi is not like wearing a mask, but when I came out to my friend it felt like he treated me like a stranger, like he didn't know me anymore. Besides being my crush for quite some time, he is my best friend. He is the one I trust the most and the one I have most fun with... Last time we hung out together it felt like old times, but I'm still not that confident. I'm in love with him and me being bi changed our relationship, and I'm scared this might happen to other relationships I have.

It depends on your family. If they are not going to disown you, then I don't see the reason to stay in the closet.

I understand that not everyone can come out. However, bear in mind that the longer you are in the closet, the longer you are forced to hide your true self, and you are actually cheating your family out of the opportunity for growth, and to know the true you.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

For me, before I came out to everyone, dating a guy was quite exciting when I had to explain my parents what I was doing all the time outside the house. But after a few months of our relationship, hiding it simply made me tired. Then I began my coming out. Don't force yourself. Time will come to do it, eventually.

Luke97 Wrote:So I know a lot of people put a lot of importance into coming out to their family and friends but at this point in my life I don't feel its necessary. I feel like my sexuality is my own business and my family will just have to find out when I bring home a boyfriend(if that ever happens) Part of the reason is fear that my family will not accept it but most of it is just because I like to keep things like that private. I plan on being open about my sexuality when I get to college, but for now, being at a religious school, I am completely okay with being in the closet. Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

Just be honest about your reasons. You started off the post saying you don't really see any reason to do it-- but then you listed a whole lot of reasons you shouldn't do it.

If it's not manageable right now with your level of independence and being in a religious environment and still in school, and you don't know how your family is going to take it, it's perfectly fine to keep it to yourself until you are ready and comfortable. Just always be honest with yourself about why you are in the closet. You aren't doing it because "there's no reason to come out."

As I have stated many times before...

I do not understand this overwhelming and destructive need to be blurting out your private and personal preferences to people.

If they like/love you, they like/love you on your merits as a decent person. If they dont, thats their problem and you dont need them around you anyway...if they are going to "condition" your relationship.