Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amateur Radio
axle2152 Wrote:Cell phones use 700 MHz, 800 MHz and something around 1800-1900 MHz and is completely illegal to listen to those portions of spectrum...However, it is all encoded and encrypted. All receivers in the US are supposed to have those segments blocked out, however a lot of the stuff from China isn't.

Now...

When I was a kid my grandpa had this old portable TV/Radio..

[Image: 51646831_614.jpg]

Well I found out if I tuned it to the highest channels like channel 83 I could hear people's phone calls...all sorts of tones and people talking, pretty neat... I was like 7-8 years old roughly I think at the time...probably heard a few drug deals lol

Illegal to listen in? but I want to jam the communications!
[Image: 51799_640x428.jpg]

SilverBullet Wrote:Illegal to listen in? but I want to jam the communications!
[Image: 51799_640x428.jpg]

It would be highly illegal to transmit on those frequencies...unlike doing illicit things on stuff like CB bands they probably would be likely to throw the book at someone (they being the FCC)...

Plus the higher frequencies are very directional, it would be hard to really block out communications, even if you took out one cell tower there are usually others that will just carry over. That is why cellular networks are robust...

Probably more than you needed or wanted to know lol

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:

It would be highly illegal to transmit on those frequencies...unlike doing illicit things on stuff like CB bands they probably would be likely to throw the book at someone (they being the FCC)...

Plus the higher frequencies are very directional, it would be hard to really block out communications, even if you took out one cell tower there are usually others that will just carry over. That is why cellular networks are robust...

Probably more than you needed or wanted to know lol

No need to attack the towers themselfs, just match or exceed the cell phones signal strength.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.2561018
Of course when I say I think this is interesting, I mean purely for scientific purposes ^_^, of course.

Big Grin

SilverBullet Wrote:No need to attack the towers themselfs, just match or exceed the cell phones signal strength.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.2561018
Of course when I say I think this is interesting, I mean purely for scientific purposes ^_^, of course.

Big Grin

Yeah it's a bad idea lol

Ever noticed WiFi going to shit near a microwave oven? It uses similar frequencies... But yeah FCC on that sort of stuff, definitely not worth it... I mean people have got raided by the FCC for running pirate radio stations....certainly worse for cellular bands...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

ANNNNND... Something interesting you can tune into a Web based Software Defined Radio...

http://k2sdr.dyndns.org:8902/
Check out my stuff!

Or you can look at a list of all of them...

http://websdr.org/
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Yeah it's a bad idea lol

Ever noticed WiFi going to shit near a microwave oven? It uses similar frequencies... But yeah FCC on that sort of stuff, definitely not worth it... I mean people have got raided by the FCC for running pirate radio stations....certainly worse for cellular bands...

Dont get me wrong I would never do it ^_^, I prefer this side of the prison bars. I was just pointing out it would be interesting.

SilverBullet Wrote:Dont get me wrong I would never do it ^_^, I prefer this side of the prison bars. I was just pointing out it would be interesting.

Oh I know. It can be done and yeah some troubled people do it...I was wondering if that guy was a ham operator or something, just a boring CPA lol
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:Maybe so, but a lot of people hate it...

Anyway, ham radio is a technical hobby...also a very useful one... ham operators play a huge role in natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina for instance...

I've never heard of 'ham radio' parties.

NativeSon Wrote:I've never heard of 'ham radio' parties.

Well not parties that you would probably consider a party...

There are events, things like field day, contests, clubs, ARES (Aamateur Radio Emergency Service), SKYWARN, there are also "Ham Fests" which is something similar to a convention, lots of vendors, flea market type things. One of the local clubs do their own meetings and events, I'll be going to a christmas party...

I take it you like disco?
Check out my stuff!