Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America's Planned War With Britian
I actually downloaded this in a much higher quality, but also something that is interesting to know. I mean growing up you hear how the US and the UK are allies and so on but back before World War II that wasn't the case. I was planning on watching this with someone but... anyway, watched it a couple times, it's a well done documentary on the subject about 45 minutes long.

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Ill have to come back to this when Im looking for something to watch. It sounds interesting.

Do you mean to say an Imperial power and its former colony WEREN'T always friendly towards one another?

:eek:

SHOCKER!!!

:biggrin:

Ok, done being facetious and cheeky.

I like documentaries like this, so I'll take a look when I have time Smile

I'm rather interested in knowing what period of time are we talking about here. Thanks for sharing Axle Smile
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Was around 1930... shit was getting real too between the US and Great Britain around that time... But basically about 125 years the two countries were at each other's throat...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Alto Wrote:I've seen it before. We owed war reparations but France owed us. I remember this caused a stir in US/Canada relations in the 70's when it was declassified because the plan was to attack Canada before we could get reinforcements there, you were more concerned with our royal navy and thought you could bomb and starve us to defeat.

It seemed more like a war without much purpose, pretty dismal as the documentary pointed out. Don't know all the details about the WWI debts, but sounds like Peter owed Paul who owed John who owed Peter...or something along those lines... Of course $10 billion back then was astronomical, today, oh that's the winning lottery... Eh, when it comes to history, it's history and valuable to learn from but the past is the past. Hopefully, things like war with other countries will become a thing of the past, but we like to fight over petty nonsense: land, money, racial differences... we are pretty much a savage race like Q points out...

Check out my stuff!

I have to wonder what would this have meant for Europe with Germany lurking and soon ravaging.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:I have to wonder what would this have meant for Europe with Germany lurking and soon ravaging.

Hmm, I would say a war between the US and UK may have let Germany to conquer, there would have been not much to really stop Hitler... The world is a better place with the US/UK becoming allies... I think that is pretty clear...

That also makes me think about just how fortunate I am to be living in the US... I mean the US has it's issues, no doubt, but statistically I am more likely to have been born say in China or India, the US is what 4% of the human population? I mean my life doesn't seem un-ordinary to me but to someone say in Africa, this is some kind of dreamland we're in.

I don't like to joke about wars, people often die for not good enough of reasons... So I'm more of a pacifist... I think diplomacy can work when it means not fucking another country out of their land, resources, wealth and prosperity...
Check out my stuff!

UK vs. US.......hmmmmmm

Hard to imagine, but if the US won, think of cute UK members here that we could claim as ours............

Wink
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Well according to the documentary it basically would have been a draw...Canada would have been lost, but at the time the US's Navy was even at best...and the UK pretty much owned the sea at the time and had lots of territories to pool resources from.

However yes, there's quite a few cute ones over there in the UK Wink

If only I had a passport and a shitload of money lol
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:If only I had a passport and a shitload of money lol

Yeah, me too
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!