Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Unlikely Marriage Equality Supporter
Phillip Spooner is a lifetime Republican, a World War II veteran, and a marriage equality supporter. The 86 year old man gave an impassioned speech in support of gay marriage to the Maine Judiciary Committee this past April.

Spooner's voice wavers often as he weaves his own life story into his speech. He uses his experience as a soldier as his main justification for gay marriage. He lists his accomplishments, among them being a member of Patton's Third Army. This guy is a true American and too him nothing is more American than fighting for equality. They aren't called the greatest generation for nothing. He is a little hard to understand at times, but he is a hero who demanded to be heard.

At a voting station he was asked if he supported rights for gays and lesbians, his response, "what to you think our boys fought for at Omaha Beach?"

This video is a must see and extremely touching.

Amen to that.

We need more people in this county like that man to stand up and stop hiding and fight. Your right my friend this is a very moving video as it brought me into tears. I feel that this man has it right on the dot that we as Americans are not different then our gay, bi, straight, or transgender neighboor.

If this man is still alive I would love to meet him and shack his hand.

God Bless him thats for sure.

This man should have been invited to speak at the National Equality March....He is a real American Hero.

That is a man who has not an ounce of intolerance in his body. He is the embodiement of good. A man deserving of respect from everyone. A hero in every sense of the word.