Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An apology is called for
To be fair I touch type all the time and I very rarely make a mistake.

Slang is used quite alot within messages and posts on gayspeak, and I do it through text messages and all the rest, so I know people I speak to an understand it.

As to when someone incorrectly spells a word, as long as the same letters are there and the word look reasonably alright, our brain skims over the words and can understand anyway.

The sentance which was picked, to be fair you can understand that if you read it. "Da" instead of "The", and they added a "z" on etc etc.

As stephen pointed out, the english language has changed ALOT over the past couple of hundred years, and this slang, or shortened typing is just another adaptation. Im sure most people type out in slang, or shorten words in a rush, or doing things such as texting?

I mean I type pretty much using full english, and yet im welsh and had it drilled into me to try using welsh, which is why now and again I tend to spell words wrong. The most common for me is business because its busnes in welsh, and alot of welsh words are very similar apart from the odd vowel, or different letter.

As for using spell checker, most spell checkers on computers are american programmed, for instance word constantly tells me im spelling words wrong, and in a rush I change them to hand it in, to be told im using the american spelling not the english, so I pretty much avoid spell checker.

Just beause people type online in "code" doesnt mean they cant spell. Online is somewhere to relax, where you can be yourself, without worrying about writing formal, which lets face it, all students have to do all day, most people working do all day, and generally everybody does all day.

The internet is about communication, but also about sharing things and learning to understand different ways. This is what I think computer language is, and we generally need to adapt to it. We could moan all day about spelling, but just to clarify, in schools spelling tests are required every month. Well in my high school they were anyway, and exams, (FYI people), you gain or lose marks based on spelling and punctuation, also grammar. Which again does add extra stress one exams, and the exam boards are making exams harder, another instance would be in english, always been open book? Every time I came to an english exam, they change the rules to being a closed book exam meaning Id pretty much have to learn a novel. Smile
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Valid points, Mark... This place is certainly meant for relaxation too... You know though, if spelling were learnt well from the start (and I mean learnt), and also, I might add, if people were systematically taught to touchtype when they were young, they wouldn't have to worry so much about spelling, because they'd be efficient from the start and quick writing the language. Abbreviations are gr8 for ppl who take 3 hrs typing 2 words... If they type as fast as I do, and spell as well as I do (not boasting, lol) well then, they don't have to worry about either spelling mistakes or typos, and can get on with the matters of making their message clear to others... choosing the right word, or the right phrase to convey the message, even the right colour to set it off... To be quite honest, English has fairly easy spelling, compared to other languages, so it shouldn't be so difficult to learnt it right from the start. (Pronunciation is a different matter altogether Wink ).

So we've adapted our ways of writing to the new modes of communication to suit the technology and its shortcomings (the small number of characters allowed for a txt msg 4 example)???

Fine, but there are still, as you pointed out, places and times to be using this type of language and script as well as other times and places where another type is, if not required, at least preferred. I'm not sure people would take it very kindly if suddenly their favourite newspaper or magazine started printing everything in txt msg script, even though it would save trees, don't you think?

Incidentally, wouldn't it be possible for you to set your computer to correct only using the British English dictionary by default, rather than the American one? Or are you talking about University computers with which you can't do anything about the settings?

Yehh in university lol, nopes they wouldnt be happy, but with technology growing as fast as it is, soon people will be reading newspapers on their mobiles anyway. I do it from time to time. Its alot easier with this fast paced life.

Technology is playing the biggest part in the english language developing I feel. Soon I believe everything will be done via technology. And this will have an impact on every section of life.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

princealbertofb Wrote:Baille voeux ouais, does anyone know how to pronounce GHOTI? Wink

Fish2

One man's meat is another man's poisson Rolleyes

Clever man, you know your George Bernard Shaw!

Does anyone ELSE know how to pronounce GHOTI???

BTW, darling, where did you find the POISSON??? (ψαρι; pescado, Fisch, Vis, Fisk, fish, Yü ...)

(troglodyte, or polyglot ??? Wink ) PA

Yer! Ghoti!

Gh as in trough,
o as in women
ti as in station.

Sorted Wink

Wilem Wrote:Yer! Ghoti!

Gh as in trough,
o as in women
ti as in station.

Sorted Wink

UTTERLY!!!!

Mexicanwave

princealbertofb Wrote:
UTTERLY!!!!

Mexicanwave
Yay!
Confusedmile:

Oh yes, you seem to me definitely sorted, Wilem....

There's summat fishy going on in here!!