Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An excursion to Río Verde
Unlike my long popst about my visit to Prague, no one has asked me to post this but I hope you enjoy the photos at least.

Last Sunday just gone I didn’t log on during the day since I was out of my apartment. I joined some close friends and a lot of other people on an excursion to the Río Verde. My friends had been organizing this for some time at the suggestion of one of their acquaintances. Neither my friends nor I knew the Río Verde that is about 100 klms. down the East from where I live. We started out early. My friends picked me up just before 8am and it took us slightly over two hours to arrive driving along the twisting coast road passing by orchards and orchards of avocado pears (Spain is the largest producer of avocados in Europe) and cherimoyas (custard apples). The coast road is very beautiful since that part of the Coast is much more hilly and there are cliffs that plunge down to the beaches, unlike were I am which is relatively flat.

When we got to the entrance of the Río Verde we found out that to get to our destination, we had to drive through a private estate and the owner was cashing in by charging 5 Euros per person plus 5 Euros for each car. All in all we were nine cars and about between 40 and 45 people in the group so he was making hay. The final 15 klms. of our journey was via an unmade, pot holed ridden country track so that the vehicle in front of us threw up clouds of dust that covered our car and making it almost impossible to see through the windscreen.

We finally arrived at some place where all the cars could park and we set out to walk. My friend’s acquaintance had assured them that the walking part would be very easy. Easy my foot! First of all we had to cross the river and then climb up a very narrow, rocky path and then descend an equally narrow, wet and slippery one. It reminded me a little of the excursion I had done some months back when we had done a trek of 12 klms. over very hilly and very rocky terrain. Anyway, I had got this far and I stuck it out and arrived to the end. It was very beautiful I have to admit and you will be able to appreciate it from some of the photos I’ve attached in the next few replies.

During out stay at the river several groups of what I can only describe as ”professional” sports men and women appeared, some doing rock climbing some sliding down waterfalls etc. I know that that last has a proper name but for the life of me I can’t think of it at the moment. There was a lot of leaping in to some of the pools and I was astonished that probably the youngest of our group who was nine years old, was leaping in to a pool from a height of what I estimated to be about eight metres. The kids among the group were really enjoying themselves. I was trying, not very successfully, to get some shots of them leaping but I forgot to adjust the programme on my camera to take high speed shots.

We packed up at about 6.30pm and as a result we caught the weekend traffic driving home from the beach and I didn’t get home until 9.30, feeling utterly exhausted and I am still aching all over from the climbing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Five more photos

And yet five more photos

And the last. Hope you've enjoyed them.

Great pictures Londoner. Thanks for sharing. Smile
An eye for an eye