Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An extraordinary decorartive wallhanging
[SIZE="4"]This is in the Africa section of the British Museum in London.

The third photo is a close up so you are able to see what it is made of and how.[/SIZE]

[Image: t1-440509-p1000024.jpg]

[Image: t1-441576-p1000025.jpg]

[Image: t1-443008-p1000028.jpg]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:[SIZE="4"]This is in the Africa section of the British Museum in London.

The third photo is a close up so you are able to see what it is made of and how.[/SIZE]

[Image: t1-440509-p1000024.jpg]

[Image: t1-441576-p1000025.jpg]

[Image: t1-443008-p1000028.jpg]

This makes me feel sad. There's a lot going on in this. I'm too intoxicated to unpack it myself right now. Which in itself is something to think about too.

Emiliano Wrote:This makes me feel sad. There's a lot going on in this. I'm too intoxicated to unpack it myself right now. Which in itself is something to think about too.

[SIZE="4"]You've obviously partaken of some of the content of the bottles from which the bottle neck wrappers came from.

Seriously, did it really have that effect on you?[/SIZE]

LONDONER Wrote:[SIZE="4"]You've obviously partaken of some of the content of the bottles from which the bottle neck wrappers came from.

Seriously, did it really have that effect on you?[/SIZE]

Yeah, it does make me sad. I'm not crying or anything, and I know it's meant to be an optimistic work... but I guess I'm just hung up on the darker aspects and I'm probably doing a lot of projection too.

How does it make you feel?

Emiliano Wrote:Yeah, it does make me sad. I'm not crying or anything, and I know it's meant to be an optimistic work... but I guess I'm just hung up on the darker aspects and I'm probably doing a lot of projection too.

How does it make you feel?

I didn't have the same emotive reaction as you did, I just admired it's beauty. Had I not read the artist's explanation for it I'm afraid that I would not have linked it to the "unchecked consumerism" that he speaks of. I just admired the fact that such mundane material could be so transformed. Does that make me shallow? Or more optimistic than pessimistic?

LONDONER Wrote:I didn't have the same emotive reaction as you did, I just admired it's beauty. Had I not read the artist's explanation for it I'm afraid that I would not have linked it to the "unchecked consumerism" that he speaks of. I just admired the fact that such mundane material could be so transformed. Does that make me shallow? Or more optimistic than pessimistic?

I wouldn't say it's a reflection of either of our depths. Maybe our world views though. There's a lot to appreciate in regards to art - the construction or materials itself, the artists intent, ones personal interpretation. It's just different things that caught our attention. We also filter it through our own life experiences, frame of references, and all that.

I like your interpretation of it - mundane, modern objects transformed into something beautiful, reflecting something traditional. I appreciate that aspect and I can see empowerment in owning those materials and having them be shaped by tradition and culture rather than the opposite.

I consider myself an optimistic person, i believe in the good in people, I try to see our best characteristics and the beauty of humanity in general. But I also don't believe in ignoring the harshness of reality, I don't believe in romanticising or idealizing this world. Maybe it's that part of me that sees the pain in something like this, or projects the pain onto it.