Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An interesting thought about gaming now and then
I was thinking to myself that these days children now have an XBox 360 and/or some other console(s). I was a gamer since the days Atari was around. I remember the first console I ever had was an Atari 7800, I had one circa 1987. I had it when the NES was around, but I didn't get a NES until 1988 or 1989. My cousins had a NES. They replaced their Atari 2600 and/or 5200 with a NES circa 1985. Well, that's not the point. I'll write a history of myself as gamer another time.

Anyhow, it's amazing that the games back then were all new and exciting. These days games have superior graphics and sound quality compared to the games back then. I was playing a NES game not too long ago and that's when I thought about it. I felt that kids back then were the lucky ones. Yes, the games were not that impressive back then... but to us, the games were and then they really got boring quick. That's when we also had opportunities to go outside and play more often than the kids of today. We were physically and mentally in shape those days. Of course, there's plenty of kids who did get some fresh air and stuff... but unfortunately there's not enough. That's why (in America, not sure about it outside of America) there's a lot of childhood obesity. They're just sitting and laying around their houses playing Little Big Planet for the PS3 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii.

It's the kids of today that are unlucky. I feel very sorry for these kids. I'm sure as I was writing this thread and by the time you read it, there's some unfortunate kid playing XBox Live and they've been playing for hours. This child most likely does not get enough exercise and doesn't really interact with their peers that much due to be addicted to Halo Reach or whatever they play these days. It's really and truly sad. But what can you do, it's how the world is these days.

Oh another thing I didn't mention, you gotta realize how accessible video games are nowadays. They're much more accessible now. Plus they're not as expensive either. There's a whole bunch of others that I didn't get up to, but I'm sure someone else will discuss those things I forgot.

What are your thoughts about video gaming in the 21st century and the 20th century?

Cutieboy Wrote:......there's some unfortunate kid playing XBox Live and they've been playing for hours. This child most likely does not get enough exercise and doesn't really interact with their peers that much due to be addicted to [SupremeComander 2] or whatever they play these days. It's really and truly sad......

Guess thats me....more or less.

What can i say?
I Prefer plaing games to trying to fit in on a social level, When i really am not cut out for social activitys. I just can't comunicate with people, i'm too borring and shy to hold any kind of conversation with anyone unless by some MERICALE our interests are extremly simmilar. Not to mention how i have trouble trusting people......

I get enjoyment playing a large variety of games.
I find it helps me relax and feel better. Its always been a kind of retreat for me, when i started worrying about bullying ECT.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Cutieboy Wrote:... there's a lot of childhood obesity. They're just sitting and laying around their houses playing Little Big Planet for the PS3 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii....
Sounds a lot like me sitting and writing messages on these boards :redface:

I think we just need to adapt to the new situation.
Just because we have these amazing new realities to explore in our video games doesn't mean we need to ignore the outside world, like most things it comes down to moderation.

I definitely think that games are a double edged sword, they are so amazing and an escape from reality but then they can be very addictive and take you away from the rest of the world.
So I think like all things it comes down to moderation.
I for one am getting my broken xbox 360 fixed tomorrow and I cannot wait Big Grin but I also like going for walks outside so I do both things wahooo.

I’m definitely guilty of playing games for way to long, not so much now but back in High School I would have long gaming session like 10 to 12 hours long in on sitting. I still play a lot of games today but work an life tends to get in the way much more these days.

Not that I don’t still log my gaming hours

12,000+ hrs in Metal Gear Online
100+ hours in Fallout 3
UFC 2010 over 300 fights
Capcom vs. SNK 2 - God only knows.
I played 3 hrs of Front Mission Evolved today and Fallout New Vegas comes out on the 23rd so I expected to put at least 60 or 80 hrs of my life into that game.

I love video games but I wouldn't say I'm addicted or use it to escape reality or anything. The longest that I've ever put into one video game was (IIRC) was 130ish hours, Persona 4. Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Digital Devil Saga would be on my list for games that I've spent a lot of time playing but I'm not sure as to how long I spent on those.

About addiction, I really don't know how anyone could become addicted as I've become "addicted" too but got fed up of it by day three. It's sad.

marshlander Wrote:Sounds a lot like me sitting and writing messages on these boards :redface:

nicely observed as always!

I went to see a comedian last night who said -

"anybody capable of growing a beard should not be playing Call of Duty 4...and is possibly a paedophile"

and in a way he's right, it is unnatural. It's also a unique thing that divides the generations now, there are men now (yes, fully grown) who grew up playing videogames and don't want to stop. Maybe it is childish and a little immature, but it's just another way of finding that same comfort people get from any sedate hobby, only with less pay-off Rolleyes

personally I think games are finally getting to the point where they are almost as captivating as films - beautiful, engaging, rich and with story, plot-twists, emotional content, action, character empathy... I'd sound like an asshole if I told you I was tearful when Aeris died in Final Fantasy VII, but I was 15 and loved fantasy; I was there, like reading a book.

And you find other people who remember these things. Some of us have been living half our lives in this little pool of cultural references and imagined environments, from DOOM onwards to the point where it bleeds into reality. We talk about our favourite characters, some people Cosplay (dress up as them in costume) , make fan comics, make their own games and mods. It's a new medium of expression in many ways that is always evolving since the hardcore programmers of the 80s put so much heart into their titles and captured imaginations.

The future makes me both excited and brings a sense of dread. Things right now are fairly detailed, immersive, and gruesome - I've beat zombie corpses with wrenches, chased prostitutes in a car, shot innocent raccoons, and all manner of horrors playing videogames. The thought of these experiences getting more detailed is more frightening given the level of engagement and response from the player, and potentially how young they might be. Most of these things are fun Smile while that makes me sound like a crazy; thankfully my friends and I have a pretty sound grip on reality, and aren't going to start acting out Manhunt or anything ridiculous. Games will get even better, with direct physical actions already playing part (Kinect, Wii) and greater levels of detail and innovation. God help us...

TLDR? I'm a geek.