Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An unfortunate timing of events
Hey people, so to keep it short...

* On Friday evening my training at a grocery store begins. Yay, I have a job!

* I have an interview on Friday for a professional IT job, and haven't been told the time, let's hope it's in the morning.

* I don't know the Canadian market, and don't really know when the IT company will let me know if I am successful. I assume the maximum time will be a week, but hope it is likely on the spot.

* By this time, I could be starting a job at the big chain grocery store.

* If I get an IT job offer, of course I want that over a shop job. But money is tight as I moved to Canada from the UK and started from scratch. I can't afford to let the grocery store go for a "maybe"

* What do I do if I have started work at the grocery store and I get an IT job offer? What is the notice period in Canada? How do I quit the grocery store job gracefully without letting them know I'm going for a professional career?

* What am I going to do if the training and interview time periods overlap? There's no way I'm going to miss that interview?

* I hope none of you know who I am

wish i could help m8 but no idea although i do wish u the best however things go

Paul1 Wrote:* What do I do if I have started work at the grocery store and I get an IT job offer? What is the notice period in Canada? How do I quit the grocery store job gracefully without letting them know I'm going for a professional career?

Generally you would give 2 week notice before quitting a job and most employers will allow for that 2 week period between jobs.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider a grocery store job like a very permanent one, even if it can be so for some people. Lots of youngsters just go to work at a store because they know jobs are available, which pay the rent, if nothing much else. No one could blame you for just not turning up one day. I'm sure there will be a young one (or an older one) just as capable as you ready to take on the job you'll be leaving. If Timmy says the period is two weeks, that should work out for you, shouldn't it?
Good luck with the IT job, Paul.

These are horrible decisions. Good luck getting the one you want.

Sorry, that was rubbish as a piece of advice, wasn't it! :redface:

Well if worse comes to worse and there is an unavoidable overlap and I can't rearrange hours, I could just get myself dismissed. Can anyone name some fun legal ways to get fired?