Rate Thread
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anime, anyone?
Im watching some anime on Netflix lately.

I have noticed that 99% of all Japanese anime characters are white.....errr, Caucasian I should say.

I dont understand why Japanese make caucasian characters, but give them Japanese names and hairstyles.

Anybody know why they do this?

Good question... Have you watched Rosario + Vampire?

No, I dont like vampires......SOOOOOOO over done.

Right now Im watching Darker Than Black and Black Butler.

Do Japanese people hate looking like Japanese and want to be caucasian?
Im very curious.

TimeSage Wrote:*twitch* *twitch*

*SMACKS YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH the Eternal Teir*

WE DON'T MENTOIN THE DUB IN THSE PARTS

Every dub has its place :p
At the end of the day, if it wasn't for that dub - bad as it was - I bet a good few people would never have gotten into other anime.

Bad dubs are like gateway drugs (for anime...)
It almost rhymes, so it has to be true. Laugh

Also, it's called the Eternal Tiare
It's a wand, not an everlasting cake-layer :3

Tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo Wink x

MisterTinkles Wrote:No, I dont like vampires......SOOOOOOO over done.

Right now Im watching Blacker Than Black and Black Butler.

Do Japanese people hate looking like Japanese and want to be caucasian?
Im very curious.

Somehow I doubt they give it the same amount of thought that you do Tongue

The caucasian-ness is just the way you're seeing it. I doubt they put much thought into race - it's anime after all, there's not exactly stuck on the little details...
what were you expecting, all the characters to be coloured yellow? I doubt they draw people the way they do for some kinda race-wish-fulfilment lmao xD

If an anime is set in Tokyo - or some equivalent - chances are they are meant to be asian :p

MisterTinkles Wrote:Im watching some anime on Netflix lately.

I have noticed that 99% of all Japanese anime characters are white.....errr, Caucasian I should say.

I dont understand why Japanese make caucasian characters, but give them Japanese names and hairstyles.

Anybody know why they do this?

Actually, that's a misconception by a lot of folks in the west - the Japanese view the characters as Japanese/Asian, unless the audience is told otherwise. I used to think the same thing, but now I can't view anime/manga characters as anything BUT Japanese/Asian.

Has anyone mentioned The Girl Who Leapt Through Time yet? Liked it a lot when I first saw it, but just re-watched the English dub recently and thought it was AMAZING! Great characters and lovely art. The same guy created Summer Wars too, which I thought was just ok. I thought that one lacked the focus and character strength of TGWLTT, but the action sequences were really cool.

Drew Wrote:Actually, that's a misconception by a lot of folks in the west - the Japanese view the characters as Japanese/Asian, unless the audience is told otherwise. I used to think the same thing, but now I can't view anime/manga characters as anything BUT Japanese/Asian.

I dont see how. You take a picture of one of these characters and try to match it to an actual Japanese person, it isnt going to look anything like a Japanese person.

These anime characters have causasion triats, not Asian ones, aside from a lot of the hairstyles.

You show a picture of any anime character to anyone in any country (other than the Asia's/Japan) and they will say its a caucasian person.

And Im not talking about stereotyping them, Im talking about actual Japanese traits......black shiny hair, slightly tipped eyes, thin or pug noses, not much cheekbone showing, brown or black eyes......

These anime characters have pink skin, big round eyes, eyes of different colors, brown hair, red hair, blond hair, full round faces, Anglo Saxon shaped faces, square jawlines, etc....

Several articles online argue that these ARE Japanese characters, but they arent.
You go to Japan, you will not see any Japanese people who look like these anime characters.

Sekai wo kakumei suru chikara wo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had a movie night in college and we watched howl's moving castle. i love that turnip head