Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anneliese Michel (extremely disturbing!)
This story is so disturbing and sad, I'm not sure if I should be posting this.

The movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose was inspired by the real case of Anneliese Michel:

Anneliese suffered from severe psychological problems and because doctors were unable to treat her, her parents resorted to religion.

She was submitted to an exorcism that lasted for over a month and eventually died of starvation.

I have to agree with the skeptics on this one: I don't think this was a genuine possession. I believe the Vatican refused to grant her an exorcism and, in fact, not all symptoms of a true possession are there (e.g. no use of foreign languages). This seems to be a tragic combination of severe psychological problems and some sort of rebellion against a strict (fanatic?) Catholic upbringing. But who knows?

Father Gabriele Amorth, the Vatican's lead exorcist, believes this was a real possession, though.

I'd be more inclined to go down the route of serious mental health issues before demonic possession.

Father Gabriele Amorth ought to be chased up a tree and set fire to it.

Vigilias Wrote:I'd be more inclined to go down the route of serious mental health issues before demonic possession.

Yes, it's the most sensible explanation.

Not only that but probably a fanatical religious upbringing, as well. I've met several people that came from extremely religious families and their heads were all f***** up - resentment, antissocial behaviour, sexual depravation, you name it.

I'm a Catholic and I have great respect for all religions but, as always, moderation is key.

You can find many of the recordings of Anneliese on YouTube. They are very disturbing but I didn't hear anything demonic or supernatural (e.g. no foreign languages, no knowledge of secret facts).

Moreover, the priests clearly didn't know what they were doing. It takes a special gift to become a true exorcist and, of course, a doctor should have been present all the time.

Anyway, we don't know all the facts and I don't want to pass any judgement. I'm pretty sure the family and the priests meant her no harm.

Ah! Im not going to watch your video but i did watch the film "exorcism of emily rose" a few years ago, as usual with films based on a "true story" i researched the actuall case.

I remeber the photo of a happy healthy young lady and then the photo of her in later years, looking emaciated, , very sad, whatever it was, though i tend to agree with you misterlove