Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new phone question
Knowing how incredibly well-informed all you young people are, maybe someone can help me, please?

Without planning to I walked into our local Orange shop and was surprised to be told I could upgrade my Nokia 6300 and have any phone in the shop for free. Apart from the obvious phoning and the sending of text messages, I try to use the phone for taking photographs, video, audio recording and the internet, all with disappointing results, although some of the photographs are quite good if taken in good light. One of the things I liked about the phone, apart from the Nokia brand and the ability to back up information on my computer, was the promise of being able to listen to the radio on the move, but that has just doesn't work out here. I have a fantasy that I should be able to make better use of all my travelling time by keeping up to date with e-mails, Facebook/MySpace/etc (including GaySpeak of course!); that is all but impossible on the 6300. I quite like the idea that I might also copy my music collection to something portable (I don't have a standalone MP3 player). Whether I'd get round to doing it or not is another matter and, frankly, not a priority.

Before Card says anything, an iPhone is not really an option. Orange doesn't deal in them and I am happy with the other benefits of my Orange contract, especially the home broadband and overseas calls deals courtesy of my mobile contract, which suit my needs well enough.

I'm looking at the Blackberry Curve 8900 and wondered if anyone had any helpful suggestions or observations? I've trawled through several comparison sites and looked at dozens of YouTube product reviews and "battles". The Curve doesn't have 3G, but it does have Wi-Fi and sat-nav (which I would expect to use). I assume that Wi-Fi means I have to find a "hot-spot" (?) to have web access? Once I find such a place can I just log on in the normal way or would I have to have a paid subscription to an extra service in order to have access? I don't really have a grasp of the principles of this mobile technology and whoever I ask seems incapable of giving me answers that make sense to me. I'm not clear what would be chargable expenses or which services would also be available to me when I am in France or Switzerland. Ongoing costs are something I am obliged to keep very much in mind. I shall be going back to the shop to try and get some questions answered, but if anyone can give me any pointers in the meantime (or indeed suggest any other things I should consider) I would be very grateful.

Cheers and thank you Wink Whew

Wait 3 months Orange and Voda will get the iPhone 3g. Biggrina

Shop around the retails stores talk shit a lot of the time.
You can get a phone for free but you could also get a gift for free for the same price.
Its shit how the system works but try and look around for the best gift you can get with it.

WiFi will connect you to you're wireless router the same method a laptop etc uses.
3G is a just a protocol much faster for things like web browsing but utterly pointless if you're not going to use it in my opinion.

marshlander Wrote:I assume that Wi-Fi means I have to find a "hot-spot" (?) to have web access? Once I find such a place can I just log on in the normal way or would I have to have a paid subscription to an extra service in order to have access?

CardShark Wrote:WiFi will connect you to you're wireless router the same method a laptop etc uses.
3G is a just a protocol much faster for things like web browsing but utterly pointless if you're not going to use it in my opinion.

[COLOR="Purple"]Just to make sure ya got that bit about WiFi...

Once you find a hotspot you will be able to gain access to the internet.

You can often find free hotspots at coffee shops. Some locations may have a fee. I would guess that large cities would have many free hotspots.

I have not followed train, plane or other transports but some may be offering free access.

The hospital I frequent has free internet access thru wifi. You have to agree to some access page and off you go.

On the iPhone... if Cards is right and you can wait I think you would love an iPhone. Blackberries are usually well reviewed also.[/COLOR]