Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satan Vs Hobby Lobby???? Here it comes!
No kidding.
A Satanic Temple is filing suit for an abortion exemption for employees at Hobby Lobby.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sa...n-possible

PLEASE don't look at this as an abortion issue or a Jesus against Satan issue. This is going to be a major judicial crisis no matter which way the courts rule. This can have huge backlash effects on gay issues. --- Can you hear already???? Fundamentalists will be screaming that we are in league with Satan?

Side issues to this you may want to read up on .
FIRST AMENDMENT & THOMPSON CLAUSE.

I guess I'm slow this morning. Living with a 3 year old insomniac will do that. But how are you tying this in to gay issues?

The recent decision for Hobby Lobby was a 'religious exemption' against the Healthcare act. Their argument was because their company was founded by people with certain religious beliefs, they shouldn't have to provide birth control to their female employees, as that was against their religion.

If they're going to make that argument, what's going to stop them from discriminating against gay people next? On top of that, if the Church of Satan comes in to the defense of those the decision was against, would it be a big leap for religious zealots to say "Gay people are in league with the Church of Satan to get what they want, they are evil, like the bible says!"
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I think the people who would make that leap already think we are in league with Satan....

...but I think the only time they are going to see Satan is when they look in the mirror.

On another note...this is the worst Supreme Court in my lifetime. I hate to think how much damage they will do before the court changes.

Thanks to Chuck & East for explaining some of the implications to gay people with this...

Let me explain the GREAT part of this ... and you ought to know that it's not going to be a simple two sentence thing.

To start, here's the 1st amendment with important parts underlined.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[

As it applies here, the Thompson Clause says --- Any law passed with a religious consideration must have a greater secular consideration.

East said this is the worst Supreme Court he's seen in his lifetime... and he's right. There are three men on SCOTUS who are clearly voting as right wing ideologues and not as men of law.

What is important about this case with the Satanists is for judges to rule against the Satanists they will violate the 1st amendment AND the Thompson Clause in favor of Hobby Lobby's Christian stance on the same issue. This will create a constitutional crisis unlike any we have ever witnessed. Lawyers across the USA would line up to take on SCOTUS on this.... and SCOTUS will be exposed for ruling in favor of religion instead of law.

If they rule for the satanists then the fundamentalists will be outraged and show the people just how crazy they are. The fundies will likely alienate their fuck buddies on SCOTUS and that's a good thing.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't....

:tongue: