Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another travesty of DoMA
It is all very odd. Earlier this year work were looking to relocate us to the US. We're both British, and in a civil partnership.

If we went under the "normal" route of a work visa and family visa and then I applied for a green card, my husband would then be deported once I got the green card as it would then be federally recognising a civil partnership for him to stay. Right...

The only option was for me to go on an expert visa (5 years max), and him accompany me as my "household staff". Once there, he could go to college or whatever and gain another qualification that would allow him to get a green card in his own right, and once he had, I could apply for one as well.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

kitschcamp Wrote:... Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
Just confirms the inhumanity of it all Sad

ps Lovely to see you on here, kc. Where are you these days?

Still in Sweden. Three job offers in 6 months within our company, and 5 different locations, and I'm still in the same place with the same job due to "efficiencies" and "job freezes". I'm getting close to the edge.

I would love to sign this and some other recent ones but I have become gun shy due to my signing other things and having my email harvested and getting tons of much unwanted solicitations.

Does this happen to anyone else and if so...how do you deal with it? Really...I need to know. Providing my real email address and real address for that matter is no longer an option for me. Any ideas?

East, I suppose there is such a think as having alternate e-mail addresses. I'm sure most of us have several. You are still the same person, just see it as someone who has several houses and one letter box at each house. You could use one of those addresses to validate that sort of petition. Then you can also click on the button or link (generally at the foot of the page or message) saying that you want to be retrieved from their system. It's a bit fiddly and we shouldn't have to ask but that's how it works. Sometimes before you send anything, make sure there isn't a box to untick or tick (that means check or uncheck in American English) so as not to be bothered or pestered later.
Take care, East...

East Wrote:... Does this happen to anyone else and if so...how do you deal with it? Really... Providing my real email address and real address for that matter is no longer an option for me. Any ideas?
I'm not aware of having received a flood of e-mails specifically because I signed a petition unless it is feedback from the people involved with the cause concerned. I reserve one of my many e-mail addresses for such contacts.

Thanks for the input Marsh and PA..I think I will try to do it with an email address I never use and an old address I had 20 years ago and maybe change a few letters in my last nameConfusedmile:

If you have a domain name then there is an easy trick that I've used for year. My domain is kitschcamppalace.org.uk. So each site I use has a different "disposable" email address, e.g. for play.com I use playdotcom@, for here gayspeak@ etc...

If any address gets compromised, I can kill the address and refuse to accept mail for it ever again.

Giving this thread a bump.

Here's a short article that mentions this couple: New Deportation Rules Give Boost To Gay Rights.

Can any other US people sign the petition as Makk's visa expires this week?

Uploaded August 30, 2011: Thomas Roberts talks with married same-sex couple Anthony Makk & Bradford Wells. Anthony is now under deportation threat.

MSNBC - Married Gay Couple Anthony Makk & Bradford Wells Fighting DOMA Deportation