Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anxiety & Depression During This Pandemic
I was reading an article today about how anxiety and depression rates are way up during this coronavirus pandemic, and it got me to thinking about my own life.  My stress has definitely skyrocketed.

I work from home and would typically travel to the jobsite in another state for a couple days every other week.  I had plenty of quiet time to accomplish my work with the kids in school and my mother-in-law involved in her own activities.  But now…OMG!  I’m trying to work with my little boy demanding constant attention, my daughter trying to help me work and my mother-in-law racing in and out trying to coral the kids while the dogs bark and the birds screech.  (My cat expresses her stress with all this by crapping all over the house).

The kids want to go to school…they want to go swimming…we had a huge debate this morning about why we can’t use our own pool yet if we can’t go to the community center… for one thing, it’s freaking snowing outside!

Our house was always full of people, friends and neighbors.  Now it’s the 4 of us.  All day.  Every day.  I can’t take risks with the kids, or with my mother-in-law, who isn’t too healthy.  Any time one of them so much as sneezes, I panic…more stress.   

The restrictions make everything more difficult.  Buying groceries requires strategic planning.  The kids can’t come to the market like they usually do.  More turmoil.

And yes, I know that a lot of others have it a lot worse with not working, money issues  and shortages of stuff and everything.  I sound like a spoiled whiner.  But this is my life and these are my own particular frustrations.  I’ve been clean and sober for 11 years, but I find myself thinking how nice it would be to relax with a few drinks or brighten my mood with a little blow.  Dangerous. 

I can’t help but wonder/worry when this will end.  And what the new reality will be.  So…how is everyone else doing?

I have both depressive and anxiety disorders. My depression was okay when the whole thing started, at first it was an extended break, but now things are becoming more complicated, and I can feel it "flaring" up again. I've come close to dissociation the past few days.
For me, my biggest problem is being stuck in a house with my mom. I really want to move out again, but it's hard during this whole shut down. She's always trying to dig under my skin. Before, I would usually just go to a mall and walk around whenever she tried testing me, or go outside in the woods. Now I can't go to a mall (and there aren't many left), and this stupid weather makes it hard to go outside. Inside, the dogs just keep pooping and peeing all over the house. I love them, and I love my mom, but my mother has turned into the dog version of the crazy cat lady.
I just want to find a job and move into a small apartment, and this shutdown is really making it complicated. I can't stand this weather, either. I had an ex who moved to the west coast and lived homeless once. I don't know if he's still homeless, but I'm actually tempted to just try it. I'm seriously at the point where I'd rather live homeless than live in the same house as my mom. It can't be that bad, and I think at this point I'm just being narcissistic if I think I'm too good to try it. Who knows, at least it'll be warmer in California.
I really hate this quarantine. I wish the government had a thing where they would pay you if you agreed to self-infect yourself with corona and agree to quarantine until you're no longer a spreader (if you survive), to increase herd immunity. That way there I could at least help society if I survived it, and be gone if I didn't.

My roommate went back to his family when the quarantine started so I was all alone for nearly 2 months.
However, I have always been someone who likes and needs alone time to recharge, so this quarantine isn't as hard to me as it is to some other people.

But it does take a toll on me, coz after nearly 2 months not seeing my friends make me a bit paranoid, especially text communication can't reflect truly our emotions and tone. And we don't know how sincere the other person is.

Quite a test to our faith of our relationship with others I'd say.

My depression and anxiety is purely brain-chemical and they’ve been under control for many years. I’m on a cocktail of meds who do the trick and for bad days I have something extra, which I use very rarely. I’m pretty amazed that my heart surgery has not affected my psyche at all, but my husband has been taking excellent care of me. It really helped me to know that what was broken was a birth defect and not something I contributed to with my lifestyle.

As a very strong introvert and under doctor’s orders to relax to recover so far the quarantine hasn’t affected me negatively. As if I needed a reason to sit in my chair and surf all day long. In the beginning I was supposed to do short daily walks, which got me out of the apartment enough and for the past 4 weeks we’ve been meeting another couple, who we trust, for dinner at their house, trying to keep our distance. GS coming back has also helped to feel ‘in touch’. 

I’m sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how to deal with mothers, children and pets in this situation and I feel bad for not having any advice.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I have good days and some bad days. It would seem like staying home, not going out would be great. After all I am an introvert and I "social distance" anyway. It's all fun and games for a week...week and half then you start going stir crazy. Fortunately, I have been able to go for walks and get some fresh air. Did some campfire's with the nice cooler weather we've been having.

There are a few things in my home that jack up the stress level but this is not the thread to go into all that. Things will get better and things could always be worse (for me, not trying to downplay what others are experiencing)
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I didn't initially think it would bother me so much as I'm a bit of an introvert too. That being said, I'm working from home and my company are crazy busy, busier than ever, and it's been quite stressful trying to adapt to a new way of working whilst managing huge volumes of extra work. Just when I really need to be getting out more I can't!

I live alone too so I've nobody to physically talk too when I log off the works laptop. I've noticed I've become extremely chatty to the assistants in my local supermarket when I go out for supplies now  Talker
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

It is beginning to get to me. I am retired and live with my roommate. We just hang out, but it is a pretty boring routine. Because I am in several high risk groups, going out is not an option. Even moving about is not a good option as I have mobility issues and falling is a real risk. Really feeling the lack of a circle of friends. Oh for someone to share a drink or a cup of coffee and some good talk!

(05-14-2020, 09:11 PM)Bookworm Wrote: I didn't initially think it would bother me so much as I'm a bit of an introvert too. That being said, I'm working from home and my company are crazy busy, busier than ever, and it's been quite stressful trying to adapt to a new way of working whilst managing huge volumes of extra work. Just when I really need to be getting out more I can't!

I live alone too so I've nobody to physically talk too when I log off the works laptop. I've noticed I've become extremely chatty to the assistants in my local supermarket when I go out for supplies now  Talker
Too bad, Bookworm, that trans-Atlantic calls are so expensive.  Otherwise, I'd be glad to call and talk. Smile
I bid NO Trump!
[-] The following 1 member Likes LJay's post:
  • Bookworm

My husband and I have been retired for over 20 years and are used to being around each other 24 hours a day,,, so,,,, being at home all day long with him is just normal routine for me.

However,, I took my younger brother in when his job closed down due to the pandemic - two months ago,,, and he is constantly getting on my nerves... He just sets around watching TV all day,, or stares at his Smart Phone when there's nothing on TV. He seems to think I'm the cleaning lady who cleans up after him, and it really bothers me when he just doesn't seem to understand that I'm not here to serve him,,, I even had to threaten to kick him out onto the street just to get him to clean his bathroom sink!!!! Every day he does something that creates more work for me,, and instead of helping,,, he just watches TV or stares at his Smart Phone... I finally gave him until the end of this month to get off his butt and find a place of his own... Two more weeks and I'll have peace & harmony again!!!! yaaaaaaaaaaa

In the future,,, if I take someone into my home,,, they are going to be young and handsome............ At least then I'd have some Eye-Candy to look at while I'm cleaning their toilet (Big Grin)....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

(05-15-2020, 04:20 AM)jimcrackcorn Wrote: My husband and I have been retired for over 20 years and are used to being around each other 24 hours a day,,, so,,,, being at home all day long with him is just normal routine for me.

However,, I took my younger brother in when his job closed down due to the pandemic - two months ago,,, and he is constantly getting on my nerves...  He just sets around watching TV all day,, or stares at his Smart Phone when there's nothing on TV.  He seems to think I'm the cleaning lady who cleans up after him,  and it really bothers me when he just doesn't seem to understand that I'm not here to serve him,,, I even had to threaten to kick him out onto the street just to get him to clean his bathroom sink!!!!  Every day he does something that creates more work for me,, and instead of helping,,, he just watches TV or stares at his Smart Phone...  I finally gave him until the end of this month to get off his butt and find a place of his own...  Two more weeks and I'll have peace & harmony again!!!! yaaaaaaaaaaa

In the future,,, if I take someone into my home,,, they are going to be young and handsome............  At least then I'd have some Eye-Candy to look at while I'm cleaning their toilet (Big Grin)....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo
OH Jim!
OH OH OH
OH OH Jim!

If you have any luck with your brother, I'll be glad to send you my roomie to train.  Maybe you could show him how to close the microwave after using it.
I bid NO Trump!

(05-15-2020, 04:28 AM)LJay Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 04:20 AM)jimcrackcorn Wrote: My husband and I have been retired for over 20 years and are used to being around each other 24 hours a day,,, so,,,, being at home all day long with him is just normal routine for me.

However,, I took my younger brother in when his job closed down due to the pandemic - two months ago,,, and he is constantly getting on my nerves...  He just sets around watching TV all day,, or stares at his Smart Phone when there's nothing on TV.  He seems to think I'm the cleaning lady who cleans up after him,  and it really bothers me when he just doesn't seem to understand that I'm not here to serve him,,, I even had to threaten to kick him out onto the street just to get him to clean his bathroom sink!!!!  Every day he does something that creates more work for me,, and instead of helping,,, he just watches TV or stares at his Smart Phone...  I finally gave him until the end of this month to get off his butt and find a place of his own...  Two more weeks and I'll have peace & harmony again!!!! yaaaaaaaaaaa

In the future,,, if I take someone into my home,,, they are going to be young and handsome............  At least then I'd have some Eye-Candy to look at while I'm cleaning their toilet (Big Grin)....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo
OH Jim!
OH OH OH
OH OH Jim!

If you have any luck with your brother, I'll be glad to send you my roomie to train.  Maybe you could show him how to close the microwave after using it.

LJay!!!! It's so good to see you here again............ I've missed your lively postings....

I haven't gotten back into the groove of posting on the forum just yet,,, but I'm trying to get this brain back into gear again (smile)...

I'm glad your here,

Jimerooo
We Have Elvis !!
[-] The following 2 members Like jimcrackcorn's post:
  • InbetweenDreams, LJay